Solving Textbook Problems for Exam Prep: Angular Momentum & Impulse

In summary, the conversation involves two problems related to angular velocity and torque. In the first problem, a space shuttle's angular velocity 2 seconds after turning on its engine is being determined. In the second problem, the angular velocity of a rod with two disks attached to its ends is being calculated after the disks have stopped spinning due to friction. The conversation also mentions using principles of linear and angular impulse and momentum, as well as conservation of angular momentum. Possible errors and suggestions for solving the problems are also mentioned.
Inquiring_Mike
Hey, These questions are in my textbook and seeing that I have an exam coming up any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

1) A space shuttle is located in 'deep space', where the effects of gravity can be neglected. It has a mass of 120 Mg, a centre of mass at G, and a radius of gyration kgx = 14 m about the x-axis. It is originally traveling forward at 3km/s (along y-axis) when the pilot turns on the engine at A, creating a thrust T = 600 ( 1 - e^-0.3t) kN, where t is in seconds. Determine the shuttle's angular velocity 2s later.

The diagram:
- x-y plane is flat where z points upward
- the force T is applied 2m above the y-axis
- the three axis meet @ G
no other info is given.

I tried using the principle of linear impulse to find (vg)2 and then using the principle of angular impulse and momentum to find omega ( angular velocity) but I'm not getting the right answer :S

2) The 2kg rod ACB supports the two 4kg disks at its ends. If both disks are given a clockwise angular velocity (wa)1 = (wb)1 = 5 rad/s while the rod is held stationary and then released, determine the angular velocity of the rod after both disks have stopped spinning relative to the rod due to frictional resistance at the pins A and B. Motion is in the horizontal plane. Neglect friction at pin C.

From diagram:
- the radius of the disks at A and B are 0.15m
- the distance from C to the disks is equal and is 0.75m
- there is a pin support at pin C

I tried using conservation of angular momentum... didnt work for some reason :S

thanks again for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Have you considered using torque instead?
This seems like a classical torque problem since you have a constant force & relationship.
2) Can you list the moment of inertia about C of the final system, and the moment of inertia of each of the disks? A likely error is that you forgot to include the moment of inertia of the disks spinning about C.

I understand the importance of practicing and solving textbook problems for exam preparation. It is a great way to review and reinforce concepts and equations. However, I would like to remind you that simply providing the answers to these problems will not help you truly understand the material. It is important to also understand the concepts and principles behind the equations and how to apply them correctly in different scenarios.

For the first problem, it seems like you have attempted to use the principles of linear and angular impulse and momentum. Without knowing the specific values for the variables, it is difficult for me to pinpoint where the mistake may have occurred. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct equations and units.

For the second problem, it is important to consider the conservation of angular momentum in the system. The initial angular momentum of the disks will be transferred to the rod due to friction at the pins A and B. This will result in the rod rotating in the opposite direction to the disks. I would suggest setting up equations for the initial and final angular momenta and solving for the final angular velocity of the rod.

In both problems, it is also important to consider any assumptions made and to check if the given values and equations are applicable in the given scenario. I would recommend reviewing the relevant concepts and equations in your textbook or seeking help from a tutor or classmate if needed.

Remember, solving problems is a great way to prepare for exams, but it is equally important to understand the underlying principles and concepts. Good luck on your exam!

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum related to impulse?

Angular momentum is conserved in the absence of external forces, but it can change due to an external torque or impulse. In other words, an impulse can change the angular momentum of an object.

What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion. Angular momentum takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation, while linear momentum only takes into account an object's mass and velocity in a straight line.

How can I use angular momentum and impulse to solve textbook problems for exam prep?

To solve problems involving angular momentum and impulse, you can use the conservation of angular momentum equation or the impulse-momentum theorem. It is important to carefully define your system and consider all external forces or torques acting on the object.

What are some real-world applications of angular momentum and impulse?

Angular momentum and impulse are important concepts in understanding the motion of objects in various real-world scenarios, such as the rotation of planets and satellites, the movement of athletes in sports, and the operation of machines like gyroscopes and spinning tops.