Does Peanut butter and jelly go bad?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, Peanut butter and jelly can both be eaten even if the expiration date has passed. However, if the peanut butter is open or looks furry, it should not be eaten.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know if peanut butter or jelly has like... an expiration date. I found this jar of peanut butter and it said "Best by: May 14, 2004" and a jelly thing with roughly the same expiration date. Can i still eat it :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Does anyone know if peanut butter or jelly has like... an expiration date. I found this jar of peanut butter and it said "Best by: May 14, 2004" and a jelly thing with roughly the same expiration date. Can i still eat it :D
I ate some peanut butter once that turned me into a feverish, shivering, vomiting, mass of anguish.

But hey, go for it.

I wouldn't worry so much about the date part of this, it is the finding that would worry me. Where exactly did you find peanut butter and jelly?

Peanut butter cannot taste worse than it usually does.

I can only think of one food that never spoils, honey.
that's honey as in the food, I'm not calling you honey.

Really, honey?

That's what I heard, sweetie.

It's a bit yucky, though..

If I can stomach calling you sweetie, I can stomach just about anything

I've never asked you to swallow your own pride; I know that would be too difficult for you.

I don't have any pride. It just appears that way to you lesser creatures.

I think it's safe. If anything was growing in there, it's probably dead by now. :biggrin: Did you open them?

Okay, guess what:
How Safe Is Peanut Butter?
Peanut butter can be safely stored without refrigeration because it contains less than 1% moisture. It cannot
support the growth of bacteria or even drought-tolerant molds.
Some people are allergic to peanuts and peanut
butter. Allergic reactions may include skin irritations such as rashes, hives and eczema. Gastrointestinal symptoms
may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In rare cases, a potentially fatal condition called anaphylaxis
may occur. Persons with a known allergy to peanuts should avoid peanuts and peanut butter. Persons with a
known allergy to other legumes such as soy beans, peas, garbanzos (chickpeas), etc. may want to avoid peanut butter or exercise caution in its use. Peanut butter can be a choking hazard for young children. This can
be avoided by mixing peanut butter with thinner foods such as applesauce or mashed bananas.

- http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/PDF/FDNS-E-30.pdf
However, it will go rancid, i.e., taste nasty (I guess from the oils decomposing. Yum). I think the jelly may be another story. It can support mold and such, but I don't know how important the expiration date is. Open it and take a peek. More later when I return from pretending to do important things.

Last edited by a moderator:
The date on the jar says "Best Before" because it isn't an actual expiration date. It just means it will taste best if you use it by that date (and the oils may start separating, so you'll have to stir it before you can use it). It should be fine (if the jar exploded, I'd suggest not eating it :biggrin:). As for jelly, again, if it's still in a sealed jar, it's probably okay, but if it's open or looks a little furry, you probably should skip it. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
if it's open or looks a little furry, you probably should skip it. :tongue:
Ignore her, Penguin. The fur's the best part.

1. Does peanut butter and jelly go bad if left unopened?

Yes, both peanut butter and jelly can go bad even if left unopened. Although they have a long shelf life, they can still spoil due to various factors such as exposure to heat, light, and moisture.

2. How long does peanut butter and jelly last?

Unopened peanut butter can last for a year or more, while unopened jelly can last for about 2 years. However, once opened, they should be consumed within a few weeks to a few months, depending on the type and brand.

3. How can I tell if peanut butter and jelly have gone bad?

The best way to tell if peanut butter and jelly have gone bad is by checking for any changes in appearance, texture, or smell. If the peanut butter becomes dry, discolored, or has a rancid smell, it has gone bad. For jelly, look for mold growth or any changes in color, texture, or smell.

4. Can I still use peanut butter and jelly after the expiration date?

The expiration date on peanut butter and jelly is an estimation of when they will start to lose their quality. It doesn't necessarily mean they are unsafe to consume after that date. However, it is recommended to follow the expiration date for the best quality and taste.

5. How should I store peanut butter and jelly to prolong their shelf life?

Peanut butter should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. It can also be refrigerated, which can extend its shelf life. Jelly should always be stored in the refrigerator, even if unopened. Make sure to tightly close the lid after each use and avoid double-dipping to prevent contamination.