Trapezium in orion was a very strange quadruple star

In summary, the trapezium in Orion was once thought to be a quadruple star with peculiar orbital patterns, but it is actually a cluster of non-associated stars. In smaller telescopes, four main stars can be seen in the shape of a trapezoid, with two additional stars visible in larger scopes. The main stars are labeled A, B, C, and D, while the two fainter stars are labeled E and F. A and B are variable stars, while C and D are not. The whole system is considered an asterism, which is a group of stars that form an identifiable pattern but are not a constellation or bound star system.
jnorman
i always thought the trapezium in orion was a very strange quadruple star - not a double binary, but an actual quadruple star group with bizarre orbital patterns. however, now i read that it is just a cluster, i guess implying that they are not really orbitally associated. can someone please provide the correct description of the trapezium for me? thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting question, see here for more: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/hot_stars_001110.html

Last edited by a moderator:
jnorman said:
i always thought the trapezium in orion was a very strange quadruple star - not a double binary, but an actual quadruple star group with bizarre orbital patterns. however, now i read that it is just a cluster, i guess implying that they are not really orbitally associated. can someone please provide the correct description of the trapezium for me? thanks.
In smaller telescopes you can see the four main stars in the trapezoid shape, hence the name, which are just as you said, a small cluster of non-associated stars, not a triple, quadruple, etc. star system. In a decent 6" scope under good seeing conditions you can see also two more stars for a total of 6. The main four are simply labled A, B, C, and D. The two fainter stars easily seen in a decent 8" scope are labled E and F. There are also two fainter stars in the group labled G and H, but they are very faint at magnitude 16.
A is a variable star that ranges from mag. 6.8 to 7.7. B is an actual eclipsing binary at mag. 7.9. C and D are mag. 5.1 and 6.7 respectively and E and F are both mag. 11.0.
Any group of stars that forms an identifiable pattern but are not a constellation or a bound star system is called an asterism. So, I guess asterism is the description you are looking for. I have a neat JPEG of the system with positions and magnitudes listed, but I'm not sure I know how to post a small photo here. (?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterism_(astronomy)

Last edited:

1. What is the Trapezium in Orion?

The Trapezium in Orion is a quadruple star system located in the Orion Nebula, a stellar nursery in the constellation Orion. It is composed of four young stars that are tightly bound together by gravity and are known for their irregular and variable behavior.

2. Why is the Trapezium in Orion considered strange?

The Trapezium in Orion is considered strange because it is a quadruple star system, which is rare in the universe. It is also unusual because the stars are young and still in the process of forming, causing them to display unpredictable and erratic behavior.

3. How far away is the Trapezium in Orion?

The Trapezium in Orion is located approximately 1,500 light-years away from Earth. This makes it one of the closest star systems to our planet.

4. What makes the Trapezium in Orion important for scientific research?

The Trapezium in Orion is important for scientific research because it provides a unique opportunity to study the early stages of star formation. The young stars in this system are still surrounded by gas and dust, giving scientists valuable insights into the processes that govern the birth of stars.

5. Can the Trapezium in Orion be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, the Trapezium in Orion can be seen with the naked eye under ideal viewing conditions. However, it is best observed with a telescope or binoculars, especially in areas with light pollution. It is a popular target for amateur astronomers and can be easily located in the night sky near the constellation Orion's Belt.