Newtons 3rd law+Horse Cart System+Action/Reactonhelp needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Newton's third law and its applications in a horse-cart system. The conversation raises questions about standing still as an action/reaction force and how the horse-cart system accelerates. The summary also includes a brief explanation of the two action/reaction couples in the standing still scenario and the roles of the horse and cart in the system's acceleration.
x0xgreenxeyezx0x
Newtons 3rd law+Horse Cart System+Action/Reacton..help needed ASAP!

im a sophmore in the ib program and I'm in conceptual physics

i have a test tommorow on Newtons third law and all the stuff that goes along with it.. so i need an answer on this pronto!

first of all.. if you are standing still.. is the considered an action/reaction force? i thought it was.. because the Earth exerts a force up on you and you exert a force down on the earth..? but for some reason, my friend said it wasn't.. and i don't know..?

then i have a question on the horse-cart system.. idk if you know of this but its an example found in a lot of textbooks.. and it shows a horse attatched to a cart and the horse says 'I cannot accelerate this cart because the forces are equal and opposite of me and the cart and will cancel to zero'.. well i know that's not true.. but why.. and i also need to know..
a)what makes the cart accelerate
b)what makes the horse accelerate
c)what makes the horse-cart system accelerate

i need someone who KNOWS for SURE about this.. please do not give me a bogus answer and make me fail my test tommorow!

Physics news on Phys.org
well the standing still question is an action reaction pair and the other big question i think i know but, I am not very good at describing stuff so sorry

Strictly speaking, there are two action/reaction couples in the standing still scenario:
1. Gravity: Earth pulls you down, you pull the Earth up. Lots of motion here if it weren't for:
2. Normal force couple: The ground resists your hurtling down to the Earth's C.M, pushing you up, while you push the ground down.

Net result: both you and Earth at rest, with some stress contained in both of you.

Horse+cart:
a) Cart accelerates due to the horse's action upon it.
b) Horse accelerates due to the ground's action upon it.
c) Horse+Cart accelerates due to the ground's action upon them.

Last edited:

1. What is Newton's 3rd law of motion?

Newton's 3rd law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to a horse cart system?

In a horse cart system, the horse exerts a forward force on the cart, and in turn, the cart exerts an equal and opposite force back on the horse. This allows the horse to pull the cart forward, as the forces cancel each other out and result in motion.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's 3rd law in action with a horse cart system?

An example would be when a horse pulls a cart, the horse exerts a force on the ground with its hooves, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on the horse. This allows the horse to move forward and pull the cart behind it.

4. How does Newton's 3rd law help explain the motion of the horse and cart?

Newton's 3rd law helps explain the motion of the horse and cart by showing how the forces acting on both objects are equal and opposite. This allows for the movement of the horse and cart in a coordinated manner.

5. How does understanding action and reaction forces help in designing a more efficient horse cart system?

Understanding action and reaction forces can help in designing a more efficient horse cart system by allowing for the optimization of forces to be applied. By understanding the equal and opposite forces involved, engineers can design the system to minimize energy loss and maximize efficiency.