Finding Normal Modes in Coupled Oscillations

In summary, the normal modes of oscillation for the masses in the figure in the problem are: The slower mode: \frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{5}-1) The faster mode: \frac{-1}{2}(\sqrt{5}+1)
blackbody
Hi guys, I'm stuck on a problem that states:

Two equal masses oscillate in the vertical direction. Show that the frequences of the normal modes of oscillation are given by:

[tex]\omega^2 = (3 +- \sqrt{5})\frac{s}{2m} [/tex]

and that in the slower mode the ratio of the amplitude of the upper mass to that of the lower mass is [tex] \frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{5}-1) [/tex] whilst in the faster mode this ratio is [tex] \frac{-1}{2}(\sqrt{5}+1) [/tex]. The figure in the problem is basically:

______
s
s
s
M
s
s
s
M

Where s is the spring and M are the masses (both springs have equal stiffness s).Basically, I'm not sure if I have the equations of motion down correctly. So far, I have:

1) [tex]\frac{md^2y_{1}}{dt^2} = -sy_{1} + s(y_{2} - y_{1}) => y_{1}'' = -\omega_{0}^2y_{1} + \omega_{0}^2(y_{2} - y_{1}) [/tex]

2) [tex]\frac{md^2y_{2}}{dt^2} = -s(y_{2} - y_{1}) => y_{2}'' = -\omega_{0}^2(y_{2} - y_{1})[/tex]

Where [tex]y_{1}[/tex] and [tex]y_{2}[/tex] are the displacements of the first and second mass, respectively.
However when I use the solutions [tex] y_{1} = A_{1}\cos{wt}[/tex] and [tex]y_{2} = A_{2}\cos{wt} [/tex], find the derivatives, plug back in, etc, I cannot cleanly solve for the normal modes in terms of [tex]\omega[/tex]. I'm suspecting my equations of motion are incorrect, help?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some of your work so that we can see where you might be getting hung up? Your equations of motion appear fine.

1st equation: [tex] -A_{1}w^2\cos{wt} = -w_{0}^2A_{1}\cos{wt} + w_{0}^2(A_{2}\cos{wt} - A_{1}\cos{wt}) [/tex]

cosines factor out, collect like terms, etc...then I get:

[tex] A_{1}(2w_{0}^2 - w^2) + A_{2}(-w_{0} = 0 [/tex]

2nd equation: [tex] -A_{2}w^2\cos{wt} = -w_{0}^2(A_{2}\cos{wt} - A_{1}\cos{wt}) [/tex]

cosines factor out, collect like terms, etc...then I get:

[tex] A_{1}(-w_{0}^2) + A_{2}(w_{0}^2 - w^2) = 0 [/tex]

So finally I end up with a system of equations:

[tex] A_{1}(2w_{0}^2 - w^2) + A_{2}(-w_{0}) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] A_{1}(-w_{0}^2) + A_{2}(w_{0}^2 - w^2) = 0 [/tex]

To tackle this, I set the determinant of the matrix equal to zero:

[tex] (2w_{0}^2 - w^2)(w_{0}^2 - w^2) - (w_{0}^2)^2 = 0 [/tex]

From this, I can't isolate [tex] w^2 [/tex] to get the answer.

Thanks

Last edited:
Expand your last equation and collect like terms. The equation will then be in the form: [tex]a\omega^4+b\omega^2+c=0[/tex] where a, b, and c are constants. You can solve for [tex]\omega^2[/tex] using the quadratic equation.

1. What are coupled oscillations?

Coupled oscillations refer to the behavior of two or more oscillating systems that are connected and affect each other's motion. This can occur in various physical systems, such as pendulums, springs, or electrical circuits.

2. How do coupled oscillations occur?

Coupled oscillations occur when one system transfers energy to another through a coupling mechanism, such as a shared connecting medium or a direct physical connection. This energy transfer causes the systems to oscillate in a synchronized manner.

3. What is the difference between symmetric and asymmetric coupled oscillations?

Symmetric coupled oscillations occur when the systems have equal masses and spring constants, resulting in a balanced exchange of energy between the systems. Asymmetric coupled oscillations occur when there is a difference in the masses or spring constants, leading to an unequal exchange of energy and potentially different oscillation patterns.

4. How are coupled oscillations used in real-world applications?

Coupled oscillations are used in a variety of applications, such as in the design of clocks, electronic devices, and musical instruments. They can also be used to study and model complex physical systems, such as in the field of chaos theory.

5. How can coupled oscillations be controlled or manipulated?

Coupled oscillations can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the coupling strength between the systems, changing the initial conditions, or introducing external forces. Different control strategies can be used depending on the desired outcome, such as synchronization or suppression of oscillations.