Gravity and centrifugal force

In summary, the question asks how long one day would have to be for weightlessness to occur at the equator. The correct answer, according to the teacher, is roughly 5 minutes. The conversation then discusses the process of solving this problem, taking into account the equations for gravitational force and centrifugal force. The conclusion is that the correct answer is closer to 84 minutes based on the apparent force of gravity equation. The poster requests to see the teacher's calculation for the 5-minute answer.
madis
Hello, this is my first post here :)
The question I'm having problem with follows: how long would one day have to be so that there would be weightlessness on the equator? (the teacher said that the correct anwser would be roughly 5 minutes)

Solving this by myself I couldn't reach any other conclusion than:
gravitational force = centrifugal force => mg=mvv/r => g=vv/r => vv=gr
(v-velocity of any point on the equator, r- radius of the Earth, 6,4 million meters)
which means that: v=7920m/s => T=2*pi*r/v=5077s=84 minutes

What did I leave out of the account?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome madis.

An equation of the apparent strength of gravity is:
[tex]g_a = g - r\omega^2 \cos^2 \phi[/tex]
Where [itex]\phi[/itex] is latitude (which would be zero at equator) and [itex]g_a[/itex] is apparent force of gravity, which in your case would be zero. I can show the derivation if you like.

Thanks! Using this equation I still got 84 minutes for the solution so I guess this is the real right anwser...

Yes, I get around 85 mintues also. I would be interested in seeing how your teacher calculated the five minutes, if you could post it here please:biggrin:

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. This force is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that any two objects in the universe will exert a gravitational force on each other.

2. What is the difference between gravity and centrifugal force?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, while centrifugal force is a force that pushes objects away from the center of rotation. These forces are often seen as opposites, with gravity pulling towards the center and centrifugal force pushing away from the center.

3. How does centrifugal force affect objects on a spinning surface?

Centrifugal force is caused by the inertia of objects on a spinning surface. This means that objects on a spinning surface will experience a centrifugal force that is directed away from the center of rotation. The strength of this force depends on the speed of rotation and the mass of the object.

4. Does centrifugal force cancel out gravity on a spinning object?

No, centrifugal force does not cancel out gravity on a spinning object. While centrifugal force can counteract gravity to some extent, it is not strong enough to completely cancel out the effects of gravity. The two forces are often in balance, resulting in objects maintaining a constant distance from the center of rotation.

5. How does gravity and centrifugal force affect the behavior of objects in space?

In space, objects are subject to both gravity and centrifugal force. Gravity keeps objects in orbit around larger objects, while centrifugal force can cause objects to move away from the center of rotation. These forces must be carefully balanced in order to maintain stable orbits and trajectories in space.