Magnetic induction, Faraday's law and the likes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced voltage in electromagnetic induction, specifically in the context of Maxwell's equations and a rotating loop in a magnetic field. The speaker claims that the induced voltage is not the same as the voltage in the sense given by Faraday's law, but rather an "effective" voltage with similar effects. They also mention a disagreement with their teacher on the topic and ask for further explanation or confirmation of their understanding. The conversation also touches on the concept of emf and the non-conservative nature of the electric field in a changing magnetic field.
vidmar
Recently I started "studying" electromagnetic induction (O.K. that might be a bit of an overstatement, but I am interested in it, so it's just as well) and I came to the following important "discoveries":
- one of the Maxwell's equations states (Faraday's law if my memory serves me correct) that given any fixed surface with its border, the voltage "induced" on this border (but more importnatly just the voltage in the sense of the integral of the electric field along this border) equals the negative time derivative of the magnetic flux through this surface;
- suppose a "material" loop is placed inside a static homogenous magnetic field (the loop is not just imaginary) and suppose we are stretching it or that it rotates or whatever as long as its surface vector is changing. Then there will also be an "induced" voltage in this loop and it will again equal the negative time derivative of the magnetic flux through this surface. Just that this time I would claim that this "induced" voltage is not the voltage (in the sense given above) but rather an "effective" voltage of sorts, in the sense that its effect for almost all intents and purposes is the same as if indeed there was a real voltage present. My claim is a bit presumptuous and I'm not quite sure whether or not it holds but I am quite sure. In any case I would like it for you to tell me how "wrong" I am :rolleyes: . Also note that I am ignoring whatever fields the elctrons themselves produce in this case as this would complicate matters greately but I don't think it fundamentally hurts the analysis. Or am I wrong again? :smile: ;
- suppose the field changes as well as the surface vector. Again the "effective" voltage (as I would like to put it) is the time derivative of the magentic flux (negative, to be precise).
My teacher disagrees with me and says that the voltage is "real" in all cases and, naturally, I disagree with him. Feel free to do the same, but please argument (I know I haven't been doing much of that but I'm asking you to be better than me o:) ), better still, tell me I'm right.
Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
vidmar said:
I would claim that this "induced" voltage

...i.e. produced by changing the position, orientation, or shape of the loop...

is not the voltage (in the sense given above)

...i.e. produced by changing the magnetic field inside a fixed loop...

but rather an "effective" voltage of sorts, in the sense that its effect for almost all intents and purposes is the same as if indeed there was a real voltage present.

How are the effects of the induced voltage different in the two situations, in your view?

My claim is a bit presumptuous and I'm not quite sure whether or not it holds but I am quite sure.

Are you not quite sure, or you quite sure? :confused:

Last edited:
I think it's worthwhile to point out that in the case of a changing magnetic field, the curl of E is not zero (Faraday's law) and as such, the concept of voltage as a potential energy per unit charge does not exist. the produced E-field is not conservative. Therefore the term induced emf (electromotive force or electromotance) is used instead of voltage.

In a rotating loop in a magnetic field there will indeed be an emf (a current will run) that is equal to the -change in magnetic flux, but since there is no changing magnetic field, this is not a result of Faraday's law. I's simply the Lorentz-force acting on the charge carriers in the loop.

jtbell said:
How are the effects of the induced voltage different in the two situations, in your view?
Are you not quite sure, or you quite sure? :confused:

They are different in the sense that in the first case there is a line integral of the electric field around the loop and in the second (neglecting the fields of the electrons, which again I would say is a reasonable assumption) there is no such voltage (the line integral ...). And yeah, I'm getting surer - at least, that is, I've convinced my teacher, which is quite an acomplishment.

Galileo said:
I think it's worthwhile to point out that in the case of a changing magnetic field, the curl of E is not zero (Faraday's law) and as such, the concept of voltage as a potential energy per unit charge does not exist. the produced E-field is not conservative. Therefore the term induced emf (electromotive force or electromotance) is used instead of voltage.

I'd say that one can (even in the case of a non-conservative electric field) always speak consistently about the concept of voltage (just that it is no longer the diffrence of potentials) but rather depends on the curve of integration. The usage of the term emf is applaudable nonetheless (because of what I've written down) - in my language we know not of such distinctions, unfortunately.

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

2. Who discovered Faraday's law?

Faraday's law was discovered by English scientist Michael Faraday in 1831.

3. How does Faraday's law work?

Faraday's law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

4. What is the relationship between magnetic induction and Faraday's law?

Magnetic induction is the phenomenon that leads to the creation of an induced EMF, as described by Faraday's law.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic induction and Faraday's law?

Magnetic induction and Faraday's law have many practical applications, such as in generators, electric motors, transformers, and wireless charging technology.