Finding a PC Application for Audio Recording & Fourier Analysis

In summary, software that can take an audio recording, perform a Fourier transform, and return the audio recordings' frequency spectrum AND phase information can be found, but it is not easy to use and may require a complicated learning curve.
max_planck735
Can anyone recommend an application for PC that can take an audio recording, perform a Fourier transform, and return the audio recordings' frequency spectrum AND phase information?

I can find plenty of programs that return the frequency spectrum, but I've had no luck finding one that returns info about the phase of the sinusoidal components. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can use software like MATLAB to compute the complex FFT. Most people aren't concerned about the phase information, since the ear can't distinguish phase, so most programs plot the magnitude of the complex FFT.

- Warren

Thanks a lot for the info.

I've been learning to use MATLAB for the past couple days in order to get the phase information, and I have to say that it's like using a chainsaw to cut a twig... which wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that with increasing power of an application such as matlab, comes an increasing learning curve. I'm really pulling my hair out... I understand that MATLAB is very versatile and powerful and therefore complicated to use, but I know that the phase information is not too computationally difficult to obtain. Can anyone recommend any simpler program that I can use to compute a FFT of an audio file, and provide phase information?

To be more specific: In the digital audio workstation software that I use, I can simply select an audio file, select the option "Spectrum analyzer", and a spectrum will appear. I can then move my mouse pointer over the spectrum, and an icon will trace the amplitude of the signal at the frequency position that my mouse is at. The amplitude at the current mouse position is displayed numerically above the graph.

For my purposes, the simplicity and ease of use of this analyzer is ideal.. if only it would display the phase values AND the amplitude values. Does anyone know of an application that can do it like this, or with similar ease of use?

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the basic 'fft' command in MATLAB returns the complex FFT, which contains the phase information.

- Warren

1. What is a PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis?

A PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis is a software program that allows users to record and analyze audio signals on a personal computer. It typically includes features such as recording, playback, editing, and a Fourier transform tool for analyzing the frequency components of the audio signal.

2. What are the benefits of using a PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis?

Using a PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis allows for precise and accurate analysis of audio signals. It also enables users to easily manipulate and edit audio recordings, making it a valuable tool for musicians, sound engineers, and researchers.

3. Are there any free PC applications for audio recording and Fourier analysis?

Yes, there are several free PC applications available for audio recording and Fourier analysis, such as Audacity, WavePad, and Ocenaudio. These programs offer basic recording and analysis features, but may not have all the advanced tools and capabilities of paid applications.

4. What types of audio files can be processed using a PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis?

A PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis can process various types of audio files, including WAV, MP3, AIFF, and FLAC. Some applications may also support other formats, so it is important to check the specifications of the software before use.

5. Can a PC application for audio recording and Fourier analysis be used for real-time analysis?

Yes, some PC applications for audio recording and Fourier analysis have the capability to analyze audio signals in real-time. This feature is especially useful for live performances or recording sessions, where immediate analysis of audio signals is necessary.