How can we show that the space c_0 is complete with the l^\infty norm?

• Thread starter Euclid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm
In summary, we want to show that the space c_0 of all sequences of real numbers that converge to 0 is a complete space with the l^\infty norm. To do this, we consider a sequence A^j=\{a_k^j\}_{k=1}^\infty that converges to zero and is norm summable. We then argue that the sequence S= \sum \limits_{j=1}^\infty A^j converges componentwise and converges to 0 at infinity. This is done by choosing a K_j for each j and using it to show that |S_k| is small enough for large k. However, there is a difficulty in making this rigorous, so
Euclid
Show that the space [tex]c_0[/tex] of all sequences of real numbers that converge to
0 is a complete space with the [tex]l^\infty[/tex] norm. First I let [tex] A^j=\{a_k^j\}_{k=1}^\infty[/tex] be a sequence of sequences converging to zero and I assume that it is norm summable:
[tex]\sum \limits_{j=1}^\infty ||A^j||_\infty < \infty[/tex]
I argue that [tex] S= \sum \limits_{j=1}^\infty A^j[/tex] converges componentwise.
Then I want to show that the sequence S converges to 0 at infinity (and hence is in [tex]c_0[/tex]). Fix [tex]\varepsilon >0[/tex]. For each j, choose a [tex]K_j[/tex] such that [tex]k \geq K_j[/tex] implies [tex]|a_k^j| < \frac{\varepsilon}{2^j}[/tex]. Given [tex] N>0[/tex] let [tex]K=\sup\limits_{k\leq N} K_k[/tex]. Then for [tex]k\geq K[/tex] we have
[tex] |S_k|=|\sum \limits_{j=1}^{\infty}a_k^j| \leq \sum \limits_{j=1}^{N}|a_k^j|+\sum \limits_{j=N+1}^{\infty}|a_k^j|\leq \varepsilon + \sum \limits_{j=N+1}^{\infty}|a_k^j|[/tex].
Here is where I am stuck. I know the quantity on the right goes to 0 if I make N large enough, but putting that down rigorously presents a difficulty. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you choose another integer, say L_j, so that if j is larger than L_j, it makes that annoying summation on the end small enough?

Carl

Not really... The best I can do is this:
[tex] |S_k|\leq 2\varepsilon + \sum \limits_{j=N+1}^{L}|a_k^j|[/tex]
but here L will depend on K, so if I want to make those finite number of terms small I'll have to increase K, and this may force me to change L, which will force me to increase K, etc.

Edit: I think I figured it out. I showed that l^\infty is complete by showing norm summable implies summable. Then I went back to the Cauchy sequence definition. Given a Cauchy sequence of convergent sequences, we know it has a limit in l^\infty. From there it's not too bad to show that the limit is itself convergent.

Last edited:

1. What is completeness in l norm?

Completeness in l norm refers to a property of a metric space, specifically the space of bounded real-valued sequences. It means that every Cauchy sequence in this space converges to a limit that is also in the space.

2. How is completeness in l norm different from completeness in other norms?

Completeness in l norm is specific to the l norm, which is the maximum absolute value of a sequence. It is different from other norms, such as the l1 norm or the l2 norm, which have different definitions of convergence and completeness.

3. Why is completeness in l norm important?

Completeness in l norm is important because it ensures that the space of bounded real-valued sequences is a complete metric space. This means that it has all the necessary properties for analysis and can be used to study various mathematical concepts and theories.

4. How does completeness in l norm relate to uniform convergence?

Completeness in l norm is closely related to uniform convergence. A sequence of functions converges uniformly if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence in the space of bounded real-valued sequences with the l norm. This makes completeness in l norm a crucial concept in the study of uniform convergence.

5. Can completeness in l norm be proven?

Yes, completeness in l norm can be proven using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the properties of the l norm. It can also be proven using the Banach Fixed Point Theorem, which states that every contraction mapping on a complete metric space has a unique fixed point.