AC vs DC Simulation: Understanding the Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between DC and AC voltages and the expected equivalence between them. The speaker mentions a simulation that resulted in different load voltages for 10 V DC and 10 Vp-p AC, and questions the theoretical basis for this result. They also mention using RMS instead of peak-to-peak for AC voltage measurement.
DivGradCurl
I have a simple question about AC/DC. I expected a circuit with a given DC voltage to be equivalent to one with an AC voltage whose value (peak-to-peak) is the same (at least theoretically). For 10 V DC, I get a load voltage of 1.6667 V, whereas 10 Vp-p AC gives 1.6602 V (simulation). Are there theoretical grounds behind this result? Since my simulation was run under ideal conditions, I think I should get the same result, but it's not the case. I would like to understand why. By the way, snapshots of the circuits are attached.

Any help is highly appreciated.

NOTE: THE PROBES USED IN MY SIMULATION ARE ACROSS THE "RL" ONLY (NOT EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN THE FIGURES)

Attachments

• DC.JPG
    DC.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 408
  • AC.JPG
    AC.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 435
Engineering news on Phys.org
Im not sure-- but don't you use RMS not Peak to Peak>??

This really explains a lot. The RMS is the effective AC voltage value which is comparable to Vdc.

Thanks for your input.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC simulation?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) simulation is the type of current being used in the simulation. AC simulation models circuits with varying currents and voltages, while DC simulation models circuits with a constant voltage and current.

2. Why is it important to understand the difference between AC and DC simulation?

It is important to understand the difference between AC and DC simulation because it affects the accuracy of the simulation results. AC simulation is more suitable for modeling circuits with time-varying signals, while DC simulation is better for modeling steady-state circuits.

3. What types of circuits are best simulated with AC vs DC?

AC simulation is best for circuits with components such as capacitors and inductors, as these components have time-varying behavior. DC simulation is best for circuits with components such as resistors and diodes, which have a steady-state behavior.

4. Can AC and DC simulation be used interchangeably?

No, AC and DC simulation cannot be used interchangeably. The type of simulation used depends on the type of circuit being modeled and the desired accuracy of the results. Using the wrong type of simulation may result in inaccurate or misleading results.

5. Are there any limitations to AC and DC simulation?

Yes, there are limitations to both AC and DC simulation. AC simulation may not accurately model circuits with non-linear components, while DC simulation may not accurately model circuits with time-varying components. It is important to carefully consider the circuit being modeled and choose the appropriate type of simulation to ensure accurate results.