Gradients and unit vectors

In summary, To calculate the gradient for the field h(x,y) = x^2 y and draw it for point (1,3), we first use the formula nabla h = (2xy, x^2) to find the gradient at the given point (1,3) which is (6,1). Then, to walk downhill at an angle of 45 degrees, we need to find a unit vector in the direction of -1, which can be calculated using the formula v dot grad f(x,y) = -1. This gives us two equations to solve for the unit vector.
hexa
Does someone want to think along with me?

field h(x,y) = x^2 y

calculate gradient for this field and draw it for point (1,3):

calculate this point: nabla h = (2xy, x^2) = (2*1*3, 1) = (6, 1)

But how do I draw this into the field of x^2y? I know I have to draw a vector. Would this vector go from the middle towards (6, 1)?

Then: Imagine you walk in this field in the point (1,3) and you want to walk downhill at an angle of 45 degrees. Calculate the unit vector (is that the correct term?) that shows which direction to walk.

I know how to calculate the unit vector, but how do I put the 45 degrees into this?

Thanks a lot,
Hexa

Physics news on Phys.org
At the point (1,3) the value of grad h is (6,1). So the direction of the "arrow" will be along the vector 6 i + j

How is gradients precalculus?

And the tail of the vector should be at the given point (1, 3).

As for the second problem: "downward at an angle of 45 degrees" means that the tangent is -1. If v is a unit vector, the derivative at (x,y) in the direction of v is v dot grad f(x,y). You've already calculated that the gradient of f at (1,3) is 6i+ j. Now you need to find a unit vector v[\b]= ui+vj so that v dot 6i+j= 6u+ v= -1. That gives you two equations for u and v.

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to represent the rate of change of a scalar field. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the scalar field and its magnitude represents the steepness of the increase.

2. Why are gradients important?

Gradients are important because they allow us to understand how a scalar field changes in different directions. They are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and solve problems related to rates of change.

3. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors with a magnitude of 1 that are used to represent directions in a coordinate system. They are often denoted by a hat symbol (^) on top of the vector symbol, such as ˆi, ˆj, and ˆk for the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

4. How are gradients and unit vectors related?

Gradients and unit vectors are related because unit vectors can be used to represent the direction of a gradient vector. The gradient vector can be broken down into its components, each multiplied by a unit vector in the corresponding direction. This allows us to calculate the magnitude and direction of the gradient in a specific direction.

5. Can you give an example of how gradients and unit vectors are used in real life?

One example of how gradients and unit vectors are used in real life is in weather forecasting. Gradients are used to represent the change in temperature or pressure over a certain distance, and unit vectors are used to determine the direction of these changes. This information is then used to predict weather patterns and make forecasts.