Looking for a microscope that

• Thread starter Tweek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a microscope with a high enough magnification level to view spermatzoa for personal research on reproduction. The suggested microscopes were the J-01210 model from microscope-depot.com, which offers magnifications of 40x, 100x, 400x, and 1000x, and the Meade Model 9460, which offers magnifications up to 1250x and is designed for advanced studies in botany and biology. Both microscopes come with various additional features and equipment for precision and comfort in viewing.
Tweek
could be used in a lab. I would like to do my own research on reproduction
and I was curious what magnification level microscope would I need to look at spermatzoa? Do I need a scope more then 1000x? I have tried google and I can't find anything anywhere. Would this microscope work?
http://microscope-depot.com/special.asp
its the PART NO: J-01210 for $375.95

These are the specs
30 degree Seidentopf (the best) binocular head rotatable 360 degrees.
Interpupillary distance adjustment 55-75mm
Magnifications of 40x, 100x, 400x and 1000x.
Optional Darkfield condensers available. Use S-01560 for 400x and S-01570 for 1000x(oil).
Optional Phase Contrast kits available. Choose either Simple or Turret styles.
Variable 20 watt bright halogen illumination (the best) with built-in blue filter.
Reversed nosepiece for ease of specimen viewing and placement.
4 1/2" x 5" (120 x 125mm) Graduated mechanical stage with coaxial, drop-down controls and rack and pinion adjustment. The entire stage moves in the X & Y direction, not just the specimen slide. And the drop-down controls are the best configuration for comfort.
Coaxial coarse and fine focusing with low knob position for maximum comfort.
4 DIN achromatic, parfocal, parcentered objectives: 4x (N.A. 0.10), 10x (N.A. 0.25), 40x retractable (N.A. 0.65), 100x retractable (oil immersion, N.A. 1.25).
Abbe condenser N.A. 1.25.
Iris diaphragm with filter holder.
Paired 10X widefield eyepieces with graduated diopter adjustment.
Stage focus stop to protect objectives and slides.
Includes immersion oil, extra halogen bulb, fuse, dust cover and instructions.
In-base power control switch and 3-wire UL approved power cord.
Five year limited warranty.
Overall Size: 6 1/2" x 8 1/4" x 15" H, Net Weight: 10 1/2 lbs.
If a carrying case is desired, use S-05400 or S-01240

Physics news on Phys.org
Or how about this microscope the meade model 9460 with 1250x?
http://www.meade.com/catalog/micro/index.html# [Broken]
A sophisticated tool for the dedicated amateur scientist

The Meade Model 9460 microscope presents a wealth of high-resolution detail for the advanced amateur botanist or biologist. Observing magnifications to 1250x yield the potential for a lifetime of serious microscopic studies.

Standard equipment includes a research-level assortment of equipment, components, and features: three professional-size, turret-mounted objective lenses (10x, 40x, and 100x), combined with two wide-field eyepieces of 10x and 12.5x to yield magnifications of 100x, 125x, 400x, 500x, 1000x, and 1250x; a 360°-rotatable eyepiece head set at a convenient 45° observing angle; and a large 110mm x 120mm mechanical stage with micrometric x - y controls for specimen centering in the field of view. A built-in electric illuminator, Abbe-type condensing lens, and iris diaphragm permit bright, uniform illumination of the specimen. Manufactured to professional standards, the Meade Model 9460 is an exciting educational tool for advanced studies in botany and biology.

Specifications: Model 9460—Includes three professional-size, turret-mounted objective lenses (10x, 40x, and 100x), combined with two wide-field eyepieces of 10x and 12.5x, to yield magnifications of 100x, 125x, 400x, 500x, 1000x, and 1250x; precision coarse-and-fine rack-and-pinion focusing mechanism; Abbe-type condensing lens system and iris diaphragm; electric illuminator with diffusion lens; specimen stage 110mm x 120mm with micrometric x - y controls (25mm longitudinal, 50mm transverse) for specimen centering; slide set with 5 prepared slides and 5 blank slides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on the specifications provided, this microscope appears to be suitable for your research on reproduction and examining spermatzoa. The magnification levels of 40x, 100x, 400x, and 1000x are commonly used for studying reproductive cells. In fact, the 1000x magnification is recommended for viewing sperm cells in detail. Additionally, the optional darkfield condensers and phase contrast kits can enhance the visibility of these cells. The included immersion oil and Abbe condenser also suggest that this microscope is capable of producing high-quality images. Overall, I believe this microscope would be a good choice for your research needs.

What are the different types of microscopes available?

There are several types of microscopes, including compound, stereo, electron, and scanning probe microscopes. Each type has its own unique features and uses for different applications.

What should I consider when purchasing a microscope?

When looking for a microscope, you should consider the magnification and resolution capabilities, the type of lighting and stage movement, and the intended use and budget for the microscope.

Can I use a microscope for both biological and non-biological samples?

Yes, there are microscopes that can be used for both biological and non-biological samples. However, some microscopes are specifically designed for one type of sample and may not be suitable for the other.

What are the differences between a light microscope and an electron microscope?

A light microscope uses visible light to magnify and illuminate samples, while an electron microscope uses a beam of electrons to create high-resolution images. Electron microscopes are able to achieve much higher magnifications and resolutions than light microscopes.

What is the maintenance and care required for a microscope?

Microscopes should be kept clean and stored in a dry, dust-free environment. Regular cleaning of the lenses and stages is necessary to ensure clear images. It is also important to follow proper handling and storage procedures to prevent damage to the microscope.