Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apple
In summary, the conversation discusses the unique and visually stunning entrance of the new Apple store in New York City, which has received praise for its design and location. The conversation also mentions a promotional event where a new Macbook will be given away every hour for 24 hours, and the popularity of Apple's marketing strategies, particularly their advertising campaigns featuring the Mac and PC characters. One contributor also mentions the "Think different" campaign from the past.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This has got to be one of the coolest store entrance.

http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6073801-1.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have to check it out when I'm there next week! (Or maybe I shouldn't...I might not be able to resist buying things if they get me drooling over too much all in one place.)

Man are you kidding me Zz, Apple has the sexiest marketing of any company I have ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

My Ipod came in a box so nice it was sad to open it. Ergonomic, yummy.

Looks great on the outside. Unfortunately, given my severe acrophobia, I'd never be able to get onto that staircase. :frown:

And I thought that was the entire store. A voyeur's dream. I got an invite to their opening on fifth avenue tonight. They will be giving away a new Macbook every hour for 24 hours straight, too bad I won't make it.

Wow, it looks astonishing. I'm going to be there tomorrow :P
Thanks for info zz,

Last edited:
That is so cool!

My first impression was "Those who live in glass houses . . . .", the second impression was "I wonder how it is to the nearest rock or brick?" :biggrin:

My third impression was "I wonder what is the probability of something falling or crashing into that structure." :rolleyes:

It just looks so inviting to someone with a brink in the hand - not that I am suggesting that anyone should to do that. :uhh:

Yeah I kinda agree about the appearance looking fragile. And it's in the city... Does look awesome though.

I expect the glass is tempered and is a possibly laminated with some polycarbonate.

The other thought was - they must have one heck of a window cleaning bill. :rofl:

Well perhaps not. It's not that big.:tongue:

It's half a block from the SE corner of Central Park - high rent area - but seemingly appropriate for Apple.

Last edited:
In that area, I'd hate to see what they pay for rent. I bet you're not going to be finding any bargains there. Apple does have some of the most kick ass industrial designers today.

http://news.zdnet.com/i/ne/p/2006/exterior1_550x367.jpg

The big apple, in the big apple. Ironic.

cyrusabdollahi said:
http://news.zdnet.com/i/ne/p/2006/exterior1_550x367.jpg

The big apple, in the big apple. Ironic.
You bore me, but you're MUCH (MUCHMUCHMUCHMUCHMUCHMUCHMUCH) better than a certain pengwuino who i despise

jimmydelgado777 said:
And I thought that was the entire store. A voyeur's dream. I got an invite to their opening on fifth avenue tonight. They will be giving away a new Macbook every hour for 24 hours straight, too bad I won't make it.
Dang! They wouldn't happen to still be having any promotions like that on Monday or Tuesday, would they? I'll be in NYC Mon and Tues, and will definitely stop in if there's a chance of winning a free computer! :biggrin:

I LOVE the new Mac commercials. :rofl: Have you seen them? There's one where it's two guys (one in a stuffy business suit, who is the PC, and one in casual jeans and untucked shirt, who is the Mac...I'm sure it's no coincidence that they chose an actor to be the PC who looks a bit like Bill Gates...somewhat anyway), and the guy who is the PC starts sneezing, and saying how he's catching the latest virus, and warns the other guy to stay away, and the other guy says something like, "I'm a Mac, it's not a problem," and grabs a tissue and wipes the PC guy's nose. :rofl:

Then, the other one is them being all buddy buddy, talking about how they formed a network together, and how well they get along, etc., and then this pretty Japanese woman walks in, and the Mac guy starts talking to her in Japanese, and the PC guy is incredulous..."You speak her language?" The mac guy answers, "of course," ...she's some new Japanese photo printer.

It's just hilarious. They definitely have a great advertising firm working for them. I haven't seen commercials I've liked that much in a long time!

Moonbear said:
Dang! They wouldn't happen to still be having any promotions like that on Monday or Tuesday, would they? I'll be in NYC Mon and Tues, and will definitely stop in if there's a chance of winning a free computer! :biggrin:

You could try. But seeing that glass entrance way is a reward in itself.

Moonbear said:
I LOVE the new Mac commercials. :rofl: Have you seen them? There's one where it's two guys (one in a stuffy business suit, who is the PC, and one in casual jeans and untucked shirt, who is the Mac...I'm sure it's no coincidence that they chose an actor to be the PC who looks a bit like Bill Gates...somewhat anyway), and the guy who is the PC starts sneezing, and saying how he's catching the latest virus, and warns the other guy to stay away, and the other guy says something like, "I'm a Mac, it's not a problem," and grabs a tissue and wipes the PC guy's nose. :rofl:

Then, the other one is them being all buddy buddy, talking about how they formed a network together, and how well they get along, etc., and then this pretty Japanese woman walks in, and the Mac guy starts talking to her in Japanese, and the PC guy is incredulous..."You speak her language?" The mac guy answers, "of course," ...she's some new Japanese photo printer.

It's just hilarious. They definitely have a great advertising firm working for them. I haven't seen commercials I've liked that much in a long time!

Apple is very good in marketing their products. Do you remember the whole Think propaganda? where they showed Einstein and some other great geniuses in black and white, and there was a Think different message at the end. It's some sort of subliminal message to whoever buys the Mac - you're a rebel, troublemaker, round pegs in the square holes aka as "people who push the human race forward." :rofl: I love it

Link: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/redlightrunner/thinkdifferent.mov

Link: http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

It's beautiful!:!) :!) :!)

I'm guessing the bathroom is not on the ground floor?! :rofl:

I'm thinking it's a great design for theft-prevention. People can look in the windows and be tempted by the products on display, but unlike traditional store fronts, nobody can do a smash and grab on it. And, with being able to see everything in the store so clearly, no way for a thief to hide if they did break in.

While you're at 5th Ave, Moonbie, don't forget to visit the World of Disney store! They have pins that are exclusive only to that store there! You could even do pin-trading with the cast members.

<jealous>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
While you're at 5th Ave, Moonbie, don't forget to visit the World of Disney store! They have pins that are exclusive only to that store there! You could even do pin-trading with the cast members.
Disney Store: 711 5th Ave - between 55th and 56th, three blocks south from Apple on 5th Ave. (0.18 mi)

<jealous> Yeah, Zz you are looking a little green. :biggrin:

Maybe MB can take a picture of the Disney store for you.

Last edited:
Okay, I visited the new Apple Store. Very cool! They have all the toys out for playing. :biggrin: Oh, what you really can't notice from the photo here is that in the center of the spiral staircase is a glass elevator that seems to run on some sort of corkscrew device (though, a glass elevator made me think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :rofl:).

And, yes, for Zz, the Disney Store was on the way. I remember it being bigger last time I was there. I must have been smaller then. :rolleyes:

And, FAO Schwartz is right behind the Apple Store (the Apple store has its own block! :bugeye:) Talk about a place to be a big kid!

I restrained myself somewhat in the Apple Store. Just got a laser pointer/remote control combo for my laptop for presentations, and a silicone keyboard cover (wish I had one of these when the laptop was brand new...I might not have destroyed the keyboard so badly with my fingernails already). I was eyeing up the external hard drives...they have teeny tiny ones that I could toss in my laptop case and keep the entire hard drive backed up, but I wanted to double check which firewire connections I have on both of my computers first (I'm not sure they both have the same version, so I might want to get the drive that is compatible with both instead of one or the other if they aren't both the same). But, now I've seen them in person and have an idea of the size and connections, etc., so can order it online later with a better clue of what I'm ordering.

Curious3141 said:
I'm guessing the bathroom is not on the ground floor?! :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
(Only my 3rd ROFL ever)

1. What is the "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance"?

The "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance" is a unique architectural feature at the Apple Store in Hangzhou, China. It is a large net-like structure made up of metal cables and serves as the entrance to the store.

2. How was the "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance" constructed?

The "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance" was designed by the British architecture firm Foster + Partners and was constructed using over 1500 vertical steel cables. These cables were then connected to a steel ring at the top, giving the structure its net-like appearance.

3. What is the purpose of the "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance"?

The "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance" serves as both an architectural feature and a functional entrance to the Apple Store. It provides a unique and eye-catching design that draws people in and also allows for natural light to enter the store.

4. How has the "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance" been received by the public?

The "Net: Amazing Apple Store Entrance" has received a lot of positive attention from the public, with many people admiring its innovative design and impressive construction. It has become a popular tourist attraction and has even won several architectural awards.

5. Are there any other buildings with similar net-like structures?

Yes, there are other buildings around the world that feature similar net-like structures, such as the Singapore National Stadium and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. These structures are becoming increasingly popular in modern architecture and are known for their striking appearance and functionality.