Presentation reward suggestion

• Thread starter matt grime
  • Start date
In summary, I think it would be a good idea to have an award for people who write well. People could be awarded stars or badges or something similar.
matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have, for about the first time ever in these forums, read a beautifully clear and typeset mathematical argument (by someone not a PhD). It also had the plus point of being correct. It is in the 'calculus and beyond' homework section, the thread about number theory (gcd and lcm). I'm evidently not alone in noticing this and feeling the necessity to comment on it.

So, how about some recognition for people who write well? I don't necessarily mean an award like a little badge or even a big badge. I leave it to others to decide what 'reward' is applicable.

But there should be some way to let the author know, apart from people replying with congratulations. Perhaps posts could be rateable (by homework experts or science experts or some other subset of people). If a poster gets enough plus points then that badge or whatever could be awarded.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you there matt, it is definitely promising to see such a structured post in the homework sections and an award would be most appropriate. I agree with your suggestion of a points system; however, I am struggling with coming up with a title for the award. I think there is definatly substance to the idea though and it gets my vote.

~H

Last edited:
Here's the link to that thread for those who aren't a regular visitor of that section just like myself:

Basic Number Theory: LCM/GCD Proof

Great work, like a template.

One could have a locked sticky thread with Best Presentation of the Week recognition, but awarded by the mentors, and perhaps with voting in the HH forum.

Such a thread could be placed in each HW forum.

In engineering, we were given a HW problem template with which to submit homework problems.

Given: Problem Statement - literally the problem as stated from the book or assignment sheet.

Solution: The solution begins with reference to relevant formulas, input data, assumptions (approximations), etc. This displays the students understanding of the formula, data and relevant concepts.

The solution is carried out in detail (some times excruciatingly so). Proper units had to be displayed, at least at the beginning.

---------------------

If I see just numbers, I have to recommend someone check units. And other times, I have to ask for a reference for a text.

matt grime said:
I have, for about the first time ever in these forums, read a beautifully clear and typeset mathematical argument (by someone not a PhD). It also had the plus point of being correct. It is in the 'calculus and beyond' homework section, the thread about number theory (gcd and lcm). I'm evidently not alone in noticing this and feeling the necessity to comment on it.

So, how about some recognition for people who write well? I don't necessarily mean an award like a little badge or even a big badge. I leave it to others to decide what 'reward' is applicable.

But there should be some way to let the author know, apart from people replying with congratulations. Perhaps posts could be rateable (by homework experts or science experts or some other subset of people). If a poster gets enough plus points then that badge or whatever could be awarded.

I have thought about for some time but I was thinking more along the lines of a recommendation type of button so that anyone could give a rec for a clear/well/written/informative post. And maybe people with lots of recs could be given badges (or stars) (there is something like this on other sites). That would be an incentive in posting clear explanations (so someone taking the time to explain things to a poster struggling with a problem could be given a rec from the OP).

One problem with that system on other sites is that people rec a post not because it is good or informative or clear but because they agree with the opinion formulated, so the number of recs is a measure of the popularity of a post, not of its quality (and we all know that something popular is rarely something of quality or correct, morally or otherwise). But this seems to be less of an issue here given that most threads are not about expressing opinions and flame wars, but about understanding and explaining things (but it might be a good idea to not make the rec system in forums where this could be an issue like General Discussion or other forums where the subjects are most likely to be matters of opinions than to be objective).

Another problem is that maybe people asking questions would be tempted to rec more those who provide complete solutions, which is not in the spirit of the site.

So I am unsure about how good of an idea this is...

As for leaving to only a few people the ability to rec a post, it would make the system quite uneven for several reasons. First, obviously, they cannot read all the posts. Second, a post written to explain the idea behind partial differentiaton (as an example) to a novice may not strike a guru in calculus as being worthy. But it could have been written with a novice in mind and as such could only be fully appreciate by the OP (or other novices reading the thread). So even the novices should be able to show their appreciation for the efforts of some to clarify concepts, whether they are basic or advanced.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Patrick

Yes, I was impressed with the care he took with that proof as well. Good stuff.

I like Astronuc's idea, it gets my vote.

nrqed said:
One problem with that system on other sites is that people rec a post not because it is good or informative or clear but because they agree with the opinion formulated, so the number of recs is a measure of the popularity of a post, not of its quality (and we all know that something popular is rarely something of quality or correct, morally or otherwise).
[...]
One problem with that system on other sites is that people rec a post not because it is good or informative or clear but because they agree with the opinion formulated, so the number of recs is a measure of the popularity of a post, not of its quality (and we all know that something popular is rarely something of quality or correct, morally or otherwise). But this seems to be less of an issue here given that most threads are not about expressing opinions and flame wars, but about understanding and explaining things (but it might be a good idea to not make the rec system in forums where this could be an issue like General Discussion or other forums where the subjects are most likely to be matters of opinions than to be objective).

I agree with you to an extent here, however, the criteria is clearly defined as typsetting and presentation skills, not for academic content. I think mentors / science advisors / HH voting on this would be an excellent idea as those who provide full solutions will not be credited. In addition, (hopefully) our mentors / SA / HH will be able to spot incorrect guideance / solutions / postings better than the average forum user. Also, usually it is the mentors / SA / HH that have to decipher the questions in order to provide help, therefore they would offer a better persepective to rate threads on 'clarity'

Just my opinion.

~H

matt grime said:

I seem to recall a inbuilt feature like the one you are describing in vB 3.5.4 :smile:

I do like the idea, especially the part where only (?) HH's and SA's (?) could do it.

Mattara said:
I seem to recall a inbuilt feature like the one you are describing in vB 3.5.4 :smile:

I do like the idea, especially the part where only (?) HH's and SA's (?) could do it.

Whats the question marks for?

~H

I wasn't sure if that was what matt grime meant in his initial post.

1. What is a presentation reward suggestion?

A presentation reward suggestion is a recommendation for a reward or incentive that can be given to individuals or teams for their successful presentation. This could be in the form of a monetary bonus, gift, or recognition.

2. Why is a presentation reward suggestion important?

A presentation reward suggestion helps to motivate and incentivize individuals to put in their best effort when presenting. It can also encourage collaboration and teamwork, leading to better presentations and overall performance.

3. How do you determine the appropriate presentation reward suggestion?

The appropriate presentation reward suggestion can vary depending on factors such as the nature of the presentation, the level of achievement, and the budget. It is important to consider the preferences and needs of the individuals or team receiving the reward.

4. Can a presentation reward suggestion be personalized?

Yes, a presentation reward suggestion can be personalized to fit the specific needs and preferences of the individuals or team. This can make the reward more meaningful and motivating.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a presentation reward suggestion?

While presentation reward suggestions can be effective in motivating individuals and teams, there is a risk of creating unhealthy competition or causing individuals to focus solely on the reward rather than the quality of their presentation. It is important to strike a balance and ensure that the reward does not overshadow the purpose of the presentation.