[Ask] about manufacturing engineering

In summary: Mechanical Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering... are both accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board. The Mechanical Engineering program is focused on design and development of products. Manufacturing Engineering is focused on the manufacturing of those products. In other words, you get a ME degree and you can then do a graduate program in Manufacturing Engineering. This will give you a deeper understanding of the manufacturing process and allow you to work with more complex products.
bboy
Hai, I am an undergraduate student and i have some question about manufacturing engineering, any help and info will be appriciated
1.Has anyone has heard bout this major before?Manufacturing engineering
2.This major is a new major, so based on your guys experience is it fine if i finish my undergrad program with this major?
3. Manufacuring (from what i heard) is a graduate program right?so is there any possiblity that a company want to hire someone for this position if that person only undergrad student?
4. What is the difference between manufacturing engineering and industrial?coz i got really confused between this two

Any help or info will be really great because i am really confused, some people just told me this major is good coz every big company needs manufacturer, and some people told me, there is no company that want to hire undergrad student to be manufacturer..

Engineering news on Phys.org
bboy said:
1.Has anyone has heard bout this major before?Manufacturing engineering
Absolutely. It is a very well established engineering discipline.

bboy said:
2.This major is a new major, so based on your guys experience is it fine if i finish my undergrad program with this major?
What do you mean by a "new" major? Like I said before, this is a well established area that has a lot of work and research going on. Do you want to work in the manufacturing field? If so, keep going.

bboy said:
3. Manufacuring (from what i heard) is a graduate program right?so is there any possiblity that a company want to hire someone for this position if that person only undergrad student?
You heard wrong. You will most likely find a job as an undergraduate. Of course, this depends heavily on where you live. You don't have to have a graduate degree to get work in many industries.

bboy said:
4. What is the difference between manufacturing engineering and industrial?coz i got really confused between this two
This may be a matter of opinion or usage, but a ME is somone who deals with the manufacturing processes that are needed to make a component/assembly. Industrial tends to be more along the lines of plant layout design. Again, take those definitions with a grain of salt.

I would highly recommend you o some reading on your chosen profession:
http://www.sme.org/cgi-bin/getsmepg.pl?/new-sme.html&&&SME&
http://www.discoverengineering.org/Engineers/mfg_engineering.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred,thanks a lot for the information
I am in Canada btw, i went trough to sum big university undergrad program such as mc master, u of toronto, windsor university, but i couldn't find manufacturing engineering in their program, so i was a little bit affraid..
I do really like about this program because (please correct me if i am wrong), i love to deal with a huge production and taking care bout the product quality, and i love do designing a new stuff.
ANd it will be really great if you can tell me what kind of job that manufacturing engineer can do after they graduate from undergrad program?and how is this program compared to mechanical?
coz sum of my friend told me it is easy to get a job with mech degree than a manufacturing..
and they said that it will be the best if u finish ur undergrad as mech student and take your grad program as a manufacturing eng..is that tru?
and when i look at the website i always see that it requires mech degree and experience in manufacturing..what is that mean exactly?is a manufacturing engineering degree is going to work there?
thanks a lot for the help, sorry for asking to many questions, coz i got confused a lot..i do really appreciate for your help...

Last edited:
bboy said:
...(please correct me if i am wrong), i love to deal with a huge production and taking care bout the product quality, and i love do designing a new stuff.
You will deal with production on some kind of level. What scale will depend on the company and product you are involved with. There is no gaurantee that you will design anything as a manuf. type.

bboy said:
...it will be really great if you can tell me what kind of job that manufacturing engineer can do after they graduate from undergrad program?
I can't really answer that one. I can say that the manufacturing types I have known from school went to the big 3 and were involved in setting up production lines at various assembly stages. The manuf. engineers we have at my company have very specific jobs. Essentially, we design and test a part to the point that it is ready for production. At that stage it is handed to the manuf. guys who then design the process and tooling to make the part. They also work with material vendors, outside vendors and follow the parts through the processes to ensure the parts are being made to print. They sometimes get involved with my group's R&D components and making prototype components, but that is not the norm.

bboy said:
...and how is this program compared to mechanical?
The two programs have a fair amount in common. Manufacturing has to be a jack of all trades kind of thing. You need to know about materials, stresses and sometimes fluid flow. These are all part of the mechanical area. The mechanical will go into more depth in these areas. Mechanical does have some manufacturing classes. I have had a few. Manufacturing will concentrate on the details of processes and machining. If you can, take a look through a technical bookstore for a manufacturing processes textbook to get an idea of what it is that these classes cover.

bboy said:
coz sum of my friend told me it is easy to get a job with mech degree than a manufacturing.
Depending on your area and what companys are around you, that may be a true statement, it may not.

bboy said:
and they said that it will be the best if u finish ur undergrad as mech student and take your grad program as a manufacturing eng..is that tru?
I would ask you to look at who is giving you this advice. If "they" are experienced in the field, then I would listen to what they have to say. However, if they are students like you, I would seek the advice of your school's councellors. That's what they are there for. I will say that having a mechanical degree will most likely not prevent you from getting a manufacturing job. I think that would work in just fine. It would be tougher for someone who has a manufacturing degree to work as a mechanical, but it is not unheard of.

Thanks a lot for the information..now i m getting the image of manufacturing..thanks again..

1. What is manufacturing engineering?

Manufacturing engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and implementation of manufacturing processes and systems. It involves creating efficient and effective ways to produce goods and services, with an emphasis on optimizing productivity, cost, and quality.

2. What are the key responsibilities of a manufacturing engineer?

Manufacturing engineers are responsible for designing and developing production processes, creating and implementing quality control measures, and improving efficiency and productivity. They also collaborate with other engineers and team members to troubleshoot issues, analyze data, and make recommendations for process improvements.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in manufacturing engineering?

A successful manufacturing engineer should have strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and excellent communication and teamwork skills. They should also be proficient in technical areas such as computer-aided design (CAD), computer numerical control (CNC) programming, and knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes.

4. How does manufacturing engineering impact the economy?

Manufacturing engineering plays a crucial role in the economy by creating jobs, increasing productivity, and contributing to economic growth. It helps companies produce goods more efficiently and at a lower cost, making them more competitive in the global marketplace.

5. What are some emerging technologies in manufacturing engineering?

Some emerging technologies in manufacturing engineering include automation, robotics, artificial intelligence, and 3D printing. These technologies are revolutionizing the way products are designed, produced, and delivered, leading to increased efficiency, precision, and customization in manufacturing processes.