What is the brachistochrone problem and how does it affect society?

In summary, the conversation involves a maths and physics student seeking information on the uses of calculus of variation and its impact on society. The student is directed to search for concepts such as elasticity theory, geodesics, and Fermat's principle. The conversation also mentions the importance of these methods in quantum mechanics and provides examples such as the "Feynman path integrals" and "the brachystochrone problem". The correct spelling for the latter is brachistochrone, which means shortest time in Greek.
zeithief
Hi all, I'm a maths and physics student from college. I have been asked by tutor to make a small report on the uses of calculus of variation which has an impact of society... I have been searching up and down but can't find anything specific or easy enough to understand on the internet.. I was wondering if anyone here has some website for me to refer to or any ideas on what i can do. Thanks in advance :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since a heck of a lot of the fundamental equations in physics can be regarded as derivable from a principle of variation, the calculus of variation can be regarded as having the same applicability as physics has..

For further note, do not post your questions in the tutorials section.

can you like point out an specific case in which the application of calculus of variation which has an impact of society? and sorry, i didnt saw the homework section!

Can you point to a specific case where physics has impact on our society?
One classic example is elasticity theory, another is the concept of geodesics, as they appear in general relativity.
A third example is Fermat's principle for the propagation of light.

ok! thanks!

You should search the web for "the action principle" and the "Euler-Lagrange equation" which make use of functional derivatives. "Feynman path integrals" are a more well known example and give a nice example of the functional integral.

These methods are very important in quantum mechanics, which has had a huge effect on society, e.g. technology, philosophy, entertainment, etc..

Do a search on the "the brachystochrone problem" or Hamilton’s Principle...

You mean "The brachistrone problem"

Hurkyl said:
You mean "The brachistrone problem"

No. I mean exactly what I said :)

brachysto / chrone

Greek for: Shortest / Time

The actual originial correct spelling is brachistochrone.

1. What is the purpose of Calculus of Variation?

The purpose of Calculus of Variation is to find the optimal value of a functional, which is a mathematical expression that relates a set of input variables to an output value. This allows for the optimization of various physical, mathematical, and scientific models.

2. How is Calculus of Variation different from traditional calculus?

Calculus of Variation deals with optimizing functionals, while traditional calculus deals with optimizing functions. This means that instead of finding the minimum or maximum value of a function, Calculus of Variation finds the function that produces the minimum or maximum value of a functional.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calculus of Variation?

Calculus of Variation has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to optimize the path of a spacecraft, determine the shape of a bridge, minimize the surface area of a soap bubble, and more.

4. What are the main techniques used in Calculus of Variation?

The main techniques used in Calculus of Variation include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the Hamiltonian formalism, and the method of variations. These techniques involve manipulating functionals and solving differential equations to find the optimal solution.

5. What are some challenges faced when using Calculus of Variation?

One of the main challenges in Calculus of Variation is finding the optimal solution, as it often involves solving complex differential equations. Another challenge is the trade-off between accuracy and computational efficiency, as more accurate solutions may require more computational resources.