Laptop doesn't recognize d drive

In summary: WarrenIn summary, the disc does not spin up, the access lights do not flash, and the drive does not appear to be getting power.
kcprichmond
I am having trouble w/my laptop. When I put in a cd & try to open it the message comes up saying that the d drive is inaccessable & not ready. I have turned off the computer & tried everything I know & nothing helps. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Does the disc spin up when you close the drive? Are you putting the disc in right-side up? Do the access lights flash on the outside of the drive?

- Warren

No the disc does not spin when I close the drive. Yes, I am putting the disc in right-side up. No lights come on.

-Kathy

Try removing the drive from its bay, and plugging it back in. It sounds like it's not getting power.

- Warren

How does one go about that? It appears to be built in.

-Kathy

Most laptops have "drive bays," into which various devices like CD-ROM drives can be inserted. If you have a very old laptop, it may be different.

If the disc does not spin up, nor do any lights flash, then it is either not receiving power, or it (or the laptop) has had some kind of internal power-circuitry failure, and may need to be repaired.

- Warren

Yes, I suppose it is old, 1999. I'll turn it off & use a screw driver on it. If I find anything I'll post another question. Thank you for your help.
-Kathy

Laptop d drive & now pc d drive problems

I was in contact earlier w/a Warren about my laptop not working. When I switched to my pc (less than 6 mo. old) the d drive is now also not working & it shuts down the pc. At one point it said that I have a virus, must have transferred it to the pc. I will have to get a new virus protection since I have scanned it & it still is defunct. Any suggestions?
--Kathy

Get into safe mode and clean the affected system(s).

I don't quite know how to get into safe mode. I have been there when the computer went into it, but I tried everyway, except turning it off to get there. Is that the only way? Thanks.
-Kathy

You can get into "safe mode" by pressing F8 at the very beginning of Windows' boot process. I believe z-component is trying to point out that some viruses are clever enough to hide themselves from anti-virus software when Windows is run normally, but they aren't given the opportunity to hide themselves when Windows is run in safe mode.

- Warren

I recommend the following: download free antivirus software such as AVG (grisoft.com), make sure its virus definitions are updated, boot into safe mode by following chroot's instruction, and running the scanner to clean your system(s). Hopefully this can restore functionality to your computer. Finally, my last piece of advice: be more careful of what you download!

Once I expereinced same kind of problem after i used my laptop DVD burner. And i was getting some error msg. i used the error code to find the colution on MS website. It says to uninstall the Burning softwares and restart system and hopefully u will get u drive back...but it was in XP 03. they must hav fixed the bug..

1. Why is my laptop not recognizing the d drive?

There could be several reasons as to why your laptop is not recognizing the d drive. It could be due to a faulty connection, a corrupted driver, or a hardware issue. It is recommended to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I fix the issue of my laptop not recognizing the d drive?

First, try restarting your laptop and see if that resolves the issue. If not, check the device manager to see if the d drive is listed and if there are any errors. You can also try updating the driver or connecting the d drive to a different USB port. If none of these steps work, it is possible that the d drive may be damaged and may need to be replaced.

3. Can a virus cause my laptop to not recognize the d drive?

Yes, a virus can potentially cause your laptop to not recognize the d drive. It is important to regularly scan your laptop for viruses and malware to prevent any potential issues with hardware and software.

4. Why did my laptop suddenly stop recognizing the d drive?

There are a few reasons why this could happen. It could be due to a recent software update, a corrupted driver, or a hardware issue. It is recommended to check for any recent updates or changes made to your laptop and troubleshoot accordingly.

5. Can I recover data from a d drive that is not recognized by my laptop?

If the d drive is not recognized due to a software issue, it is possible to recover data by using data recovery software. However, if the d drive is not recognized due to a hardware issue, it may not be possible to recover any data. It is always recommended to regularly back up important data to prevent any loss in case of hardware failure.