I with a simplification

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a binomial expansion to simplify an expression in which the assumption r \gg d is made. The purpose of the binomial expansion is to approximate the original expression and make it easier to work with. The conversation also mentions the difference between a binomial and a Taylor series.
FrogPad
I'm trying to follow this work, and I can't figure out how they are simplifying the following expression.

[tex] \frac{r}{r_1} = \left( 1 - \frac{d}{r} \cos \theta + \left( \frac{d}{2r} \right)^2 \right)^{-1/2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{r}{r_1} \approxeq 1 - \frac{1}{2}\left( -\frac{d}{r} \cos \theta + \frac{d^2}{4r^2} \right) + \frac{3/4}{2} \left(-\frac{d}{r} \cos \theta + \frac{d^2}{4r^2} \right)^2 [/tex]

This is with the assumption [itex] r \gg d [/itex].

Are they doing a taylor expansion?

Another related question.
The book performs a binomial expansion from,
[tex] \left( R^2 - \vec R \cdot \vec d + \frac{d^2}{4} \right)^{-3/2} \approxeq R^{-3}\left(1-\frac{\vec R \cdot \vec d}{R^2} \right) [/tex]

So a binomial expansion needs to be of the form,
[tex] (X+Y)^n [/tex] right?

So would X just be [itex] R^2 [/itex] and Y would be the scalar [itex] -\vec R \cdot \vec d + \frac{d^2}{/4} [/itex] ?

So does X and Y each have to be a function of one variable respectively? Or can they be any algebraic term? for example, could
[tex] X = R^2 \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] Y = \sin (\phi+R) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out.

It's a binomial series where:
[tex] (X+Y)^n = \ldots [/tex]
[tex] X = 1 [/tex]
[tex] Y = \frac{d}{r} \left(-\cos \theta + \frac{4}{dr} \right) [/tex]Follow up question. Why use the binomial expansion? Why not perform a taylor expansion?

Taylor series is just a special case of binomial where you have a "one plus" with a positive exponent.

(What you have can be called a negative binomial series.)

1. What is meant by "I with a simplification"?

"I with a simplification" refers to the process of simplifying a complex concept or idea into a more manageable and understandable form. It is a common approach used in science to make information more accessible to a wider audience.

2. Why is simplification important in science?

Simplification is important in science because it allows for easier understanding and communication of complex concepts. It also helps scientists to identify the most important factors and relationships within a system, leading to a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

3. How do scientists simplify complex ideas?

Scientists use various methods to simplify complex ideas, such as breaking them down into smaller parts, using analogies or metaphors, and using visual aids like diagrams or graphs. They also use language that is easy to understand and avoid technical jargon whenever possible.

4. Are there any drawbacks to simplifying scientific concepts?

While simplification can be beneficial, it can also lead to oversimplification and the loss of important details and nuances. It is important for scientists to strike a balance between simplification and accuracy when communicating complex ideas.

5. Can simplification be applied in all areas of science?

Yes, simplification can be applied in all areas of science. Whether it is in biology, chemistry, physics, or any other field, scientists often use simplification techniques to make their research and findings more understandable and accessible to a wider audience.