I'm looking at this question:'If we assume as oscillation of form

In summary, the operator for the frequency f is i(∂/∂t) and it is related to the operator for the energy E through the equation E=(hbar)f. These operators are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties and behavior of particles.
S.P.P
I'm looking at this question:

'If we assume as oscillation of form y = Aexp(iwt) what is the operator w? What then is the operator for frequency f?'

I have no idea what is ment by operator. I've tried looking it up in books and the net, but the explinations I am finding just aint helping me. Can anyone tell me how to find an answer to this question. (this isn't a homework question btw)

Another question (this is a homework question):

'An oscillation of frequency f dies out after approximately 10 seconds. What is the approximate spread of the frequencies.'

My question is, what is ment by spread?

Physics news on Phys.org
What course are you taking and what are the problems around this one like?

I ask that because there can be a number of different answers to your question depending on the course.

In "basic" algebra, something like "y = Aexp(iwt)" would be a function of a real number and w would be a number. In linear algebra, t might be a vector in which case w would be a function taking one vector into another: an "operator". In quantum physics (not mathatics at all) what are numerical properties of of particles (position, velocity, momentum, energy, etc.) become operators on the quantum space. Certainly if you are expected to do a problem like this, you should already have been introduced to the notion of an "operator".

hmm

Its for a quantum mechanics course. The course started last week, and we've not covered much yet. I'm doing my own reserch into it. That problem was found on last years exam paper. Was just curious as to what an answer would be, and how u arrive at that answer.

The operator for ω is related to the operator for the energy E, since E=(hbar)ω (still haven't got this Latex thing down yet).

So, ω=(1/hbar)E=(1/hbar)(i*hbar)(∂/∂t)

or ω=i(∂/∂t). The operator for the frequency follows similarly from the relation between E and f, or from ω and f, whichever you like best.

1. What is meant by "oscillation of form"?

"Oscillation of form" refers to the periodic or repetitive movement or change in shape or form of an object or system.

2. How is oscillation of form relevant in science?

Oscillation of form is a common phenomenon in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to describe the behavior of waves, particles, and systems, and is crucial in understanding various natural processes and phenomena.

3. What are some examples of oscillation of form?

Some examples of oscillation of form include the back and forth movement of a pendulum, the up and down motion of a spring, the vibration of a guitar string, and the alternating compression and rarefaction of sound waves.

4. How is oscillation of form measured?

The measurement of oscillation of form depends on the specific system or phenomenon being studied. In general, it can be measured using various instruments, such as a ruler, stopwatch, oscilloscope, or spectrometer, depending on the type of oscillation and the desired parameters.

5. What are the applications of oscillation of form in modern technology?

Oscillation of form has numerous applications in modern technology, including in the development of electronic devices, medical equipment, and renewable energy sources. It is also used in fields such as robotics, acoustics, and materials science to improve the performance and efficiency of various systems and technologies.