Operator O in Physics: Definition & Uses

In summary, the operator O is used in physics, particularly in electrodynamics, and can be placed in front of functions (i.e. Of(x)). It is used to describe the order of magnitude of growth for a function, with O being an upper bound and o being a more precise alternative. Other operators such as Ω and Θ are also used in asymptotic notation to describe the relationship between two functions.
pivoxa15
This operator, captial O is used in physics such as electrodynamics and can be placed in front of functions (i.e. Of(x)). Could somone explain it clearly with a definition. In what situations is it used?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It seems the order (O) of f(x), which is g(x) (or f(x)=O(g(x))) provides the largest order of magnitude of growth for f(x).

Whereas the little order (o) provides f(x) with a function which is one order of magnitude larger than the largest order of growth for f(x). Although I haven't regiorously explained order of magnitude, I had the limit definitions of these functions in mind. Why would they use o to describe a larger function than O?

Last edited:
I don't know the history behind the notation, but I'm sure you could find it if you're really interested.

A function f is O(g(x)) if g(x) is no larger asymptotically. It is o(g(x)) if g(x) is smaller asymptotically.

Small o is useful when you have a function (or algorithm) that grows (runs) faster than one function but slower than another. The best factoring algorithms, for example, are o(2^n) but Ω(n^c). (Ω is just the opposite of o; f is Ω(g(x)) if g(x) is greater asymptotically.)

I also realized that
if f(x)=o(g(x)) then f(x)=O(g(x))

Yeah. O is like <=, o like <, Ω like >=. There is also little-omega (>), but that's rare.

Asymptotic notation has to do with "within a constant multiple" rather than just strictly greater than or less than. You write
f(n) = O(g(n)) iff there is some N and some k > 0, where for any n >= N, you have 0 <= k * f(n) <= g(n)

One book I have uses f(n) [tex]\in[/tex] O(g(n)) instead of f(n) = O(g(n)) to emphasize that O(g(n)) actually is a set of functions that are asymptotically within a constant multiple of each other.

0rthodontist said:
Asymptotic notation has to do with "within a constant multiple" rather than just strictly greater than or less than. You write
f(n) = O(g(n)) iff there is some N and some k > 0, where for any n >= N, you have 0 <= k * f(n) <= g(n)

Yes, of course. That's what I mean when I say "asymptotically less than" and such.

The operator comparisons are good for people just getting used to the notation, as long as they understand the underlying definition. It helps keep people from flipping them by accident (hopefully!).

0rthodontist said:
One book I have uses f(n) [tex]\in[/tex] O(g(n)) instead of f(n) = O(g(n)) to emphasize that O(g(n)) actually is a set of functions that are asymptotically within a constant multiple of each other.

I rather prefer that notation. I can't stand to see the = sign abused. In my posts above I only used "f is O(g(x))" rather than "f = O(g(x))" for that reason. Set notation isn't that common, so I didn't want to cause confusion, but I also don't like extreme notation abuse. (I can live with little stuff, but = is fundamental and should be used properly.)

pivoxa15 said:
It seems the order (O) of f(x), which is g(x) (or f(x)=O(g(x))) provides the largest order of magnitude of growth for f(x).

It's not the largest order of magnitude of growth, rather an upper bound for the order of the growth. It doesn't need to be optimal in any way, x^2=O(x^34), this is as x->infinity. You will also see this big-O notation with other limit points, like 0 with taylor polynomials, e^x=1+x+O(x^2) just means there is a constant A>0 that in some small enough neighbourhood of x=0 we have |e^x-1-x|<=A|x^2|

About the "=", I don't tend to think of O(f(x)) as meaning a set of functions, rather as a specific function that's bounded by a constant times f(x), and all we really care about is this functions growth is bounded in this way. For example, writing x+cos(x)=x+O(1), the O(1) to me is really standing for the function cos(x) but all that's going to matter later on is that this term is bounded in absolute value by a constant. The convenience is not having to keep exact track of what function is being hidden by the big-O at each step when all you care about are bounds.

there's also the Vinogradov notations of the double arrows [tex]f\ll g[/tex] which means the same thing as the landau big-O, f=O(g).

shmoe said:
It's not the largest order of magnitude of growth, rather an upper bound for the order of the growth. It doesn't need to be optimal in any way, x^2=O(x^34), this is as x->infinity.

With your example, there is no doubt it is correct but o can be used as well and is a better alternative. Because all o can be replaced by O (but not vice versa) so it means it is always best to use o if possible (otherwise what is the point of having o).

There is no doubt O is used more often than o and that could be why Wiki only has one entry called big O, not small o.

pivoxa15 said:
With your example, there is no doubt it is correct but o can be used as well and is a better alternative. Because all o can be replaced by O (but not vice versa) so it means it is always best to use o if possible (otherwise what is the point of having o).

There is no doubt O is used more often than o and that could be why Wiki only has one entry called big O, not small o.

Θ is best, if you can use it. f(x) is Θ(g(x)) iff f(x) is O(g(x)) and g(x) is O(f(x)). To extend the above analogy, it's like =.

Big-O comes from examining the worst case behavior of an algorithm, but little o doesn't seem to have such an intuitive origin. I guess you could use it to say that one algorithm runs asymptotically better than another, but I haven't seen that used. When you say an algorithm is big-O of a function there's usually the understanding that there are some inputs for which the algorithm is exactly theta of the function--you want to find the smallest possible function that the algorithm is big-O of. If you say an algorithm is little-o of a function then you just want to ask what's the closer bound.

Last edited:

1. What is Operator O in Physics?

Operator O in Physics refers to the mathematical representation of an observable quantity, such as position, momentum, or energy. It is used to describe the state of a physical system and its evolution over time.

2. How is Operator O used in Physics?

Operators are used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables and their corresponding equations of motion. They are applied to wave functions to obtain information about the state of a system and its behavior.

3. What are some common examples of Operator O in Physics?

Some common examples of Operator O in Physics include the position operator, momentum operator, and energy operator. These operators are represented by mathematical symbols and are used in various equations and calculations in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the difference between Operator O and other mathematical operators?

Operator O in Physics differs from other mathematical operators in that it is specifically used to represent physical observables and their associated equations of motion. It takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and is not limited to classical mechanics.

5. How does the use of Operator O in Physics impact our understanding of the physical world?

The use of Operator O in Physics has greatly impacted our understanding of the physical world, particularly at the quantum level. It allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles and systems, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies.