Do Vitamin Supplements Really Work? - Warren's Experience

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
In summary, people who take these vitamins on a daily basis tend to have better skin and energy levels. They are not necessary, but can be helpful.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you biology people think about the once-a-day vitamin supplements like the ones here:

http://www.bayercare.com/oad/oadmen.html

I have recently started taking them, more or less on a whim. I'm wondering if vitamin tablets are actually useful, or whether they are just a gimmick.

I have stopped taking them for up to a week, doing a pseudoscientific test to see if I notice any differences. I can say with considerable gravity that my skin is clearer when I take the vitamins. Perhaps the vitamin A? I don't really feel any different, at least not that I can tell.

What do you guys think? Do you take them? Do you laugh at people who do?

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Injectable B-12
Multi-vitamin
ALA
Vitamin C
Prescription Fish Oil
And of course fruits and veggies

These should fill everyones cabinet.

Nautica

...Injectable B-12?

- Warren

Yes, It is script, but you can purchase it online. Oral B-12 is degraged by the time it makes it through the stomach, so it is worthless. B-12 is by far the greatest vit one can take. Increased energy, complextion, and overall feeling of well being. Some weight loss clinics will give you a shoot for $15, but you can usually buy and entire bottle for that price.

Nautica

That's uh... sort of scary, nautica.

- Warren

Originally posted by nautica
. Oral B-12 is degraged by the time it makes it through the stomach, so it is worthless. B-12 is by far the greatest vit one can take. Nautica

It is true in part. It's true the Vit B12 is not absorbed from the stomach, but it is absorbed in the ileum. However, in the stomach, intrinsic factor (IF) is secreted that binds with VitTB12 so it can be absorbed distally. People lacking the capability of intrinsic factor cannot absorb any oral Vit B12. (pernicious anemia) Alot of people have very high serum levels of VItB12 who are not taking vit B12 shots (it is a general panel drawn when working up people for anemia) so I can personally verify this.

A few days ago I saw this news report about a study that showed elderly people who take high doses of E and C have a 64% lower incidence of Altzheimer's compared to those who take nothing or a multivitamin.

It also commented that if you take E, you should take it with oil or at least cereal, otherwise it flushes right out of your system.

I have been taking 400 units of E a day for years, so I added 500 units of C and started taking my morning pills with a half teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
A few days ago I saw this news report about a study that showed elderly people who take high doses of E and C have a 64% lower incidence of Altzheimer's compared to those who take nothing or a multivitamin.

It also commented that if you take E, you should take it with oil or at least cereal, otherwise it flushes right out of your system.

I have been taking 400 units of E a day for years, so I added 500 units of C and started taking my morning pills with a half teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.

1000 iu of vitE is now the mainstay for a lot of neurolgists. (I don't think the studies showed a protective effect with 400 so I would go up on the dose.) Just remember, at 1000 iu it has anticlotting properties and if you are having elective surgery you need to decrease the dose back below 1000 or hold it altogether.

i take, 1500mg of calcium (I am a thin, eurasian female with a family history of osteoperosis), a multivitamin, 2000mg of fish oil, 1000U of vit E, and during racing season, I supplement with creatine.

E is a great supplement, but for the antioxidant purposes ALA, beats both C and E, as it is both fat and water soluble, whereas E is only fat and C only water soluble.

Creatine is also, a great supplement for only needed for those who are training intensely.

For your calcium, I assume you are eating lots of Green leafy veggies, they are a great source and also, fish bones. Reistance training will, also help prevent osteporosis.

Just becareful with fat-soluble vitamins, it is possible to overdose on those. Water-solube vitamins are not such a problem, since they will be extreted in the urine.

Aren't the B-vitamins fat soluble? I've heard it is easy to take more than you require.. but I am not a vitamin expert :) Today I'll be attending a small vitamin A talk (whether it is the cure of the future), I heard it can have nasty by-effects.

I believe A, D, E and K are fat-soluble, while all the others are water-soluble.

And yes, Vitamin A in large doses has some rather toxic effects.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
I believe A, D, E and K are fat-soluble, while all the others are water-soluble.

And yes, Vitamin A in large doses has some rather toxic effects.

- Warren

I follow patients in the liver transplant ICU and every year there is one or two who developed fulminant liver failure from inadertant overdoses of vit A and needed a liver transplant. Scary.

E is a great supplement, but for the antioxidant purposes ALA, beats both C and E, as it is both fat and water soluble, whereas E is only fat and C only water soluble.

Creatine is also, a great supplement for only needed for those who are training intensely.

For your calcium, I assume you are eating lots of Green leafy veggies, they are a great source and also, fish bones. Reistance training will, also help prevent osteporosis.

I use ALA for a lot of diabetics who have painful neuropathy, it is used a lot in Europe for this. There is great data coming out on this stuff, but the Alzheimer's data still isn't as good as the Vit E, but the Parkinson's disease prevention is coming down the pipeline. My husband is a body builder during the off season and takes ALA and it helps his muscle recovery. Since mountain biking requires a lot of upper body strength I supplement with bench pressing, tricep workouts etc. throughout the year ( we converted our dining rooom into a weight room so I can do it in the middle of the night if I have to.) and work on hamstrings and quads in the winter. As for green leafy vegetables...I don't cook ever and I am never home for dinner, so unless the hospital cafeteria offers such a fare, I sometimes go without but I do try to eat healthy, in fact, I can attest to eating quite healthy on the run.

Mt Biker/body builder. Cool, me too.

Nautica

Mt Biker/body builder. Cool, me too.

Nautica

Yeah, way cool..that's why I married him

1. Do vitamin supplements really improve overall health and well-being?

There is limited evidence to support the claim that vitamin supplements can improve overall health and well-being. While they may be helpful for individuals with specific deficiencies, the majority of people can get all necessary vitamins and nutrients from a balanced diet.

2. Can vitamin supplements prevent chronic diseases?

There is currently no strong evidence to suggest that vitamin supplements can prevent chronic diseases. A healthy diet, regular exercise, and avoiding harmful habits like smoking are more effective in reducing the risk of chronic diseases.

3. Are all vitamin supplements created equal?

No, not all vitamin supplements are created equal. Different brands and formulations may contain different levels and forms of vitamins. It is important to read labels and consult with a healthcare professional before choosing a vitamin supplement.

4. How do I know if I need to take vitamin supplements?

If you are generally healthy and have a balanced diet, you may not need to take vitamin supplements. However, if you have a specific deficiency or are at risk for certain health conditions, your doctor may recommend taking supplements.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with taking vitamin supplements?

While vitamin supplements are generally safe for most people, there are some potential risks and side effects. Taking high doses of certain vitamins can lead to toxicity and interact with medication. It is important to follow recommended dosages and consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplements.