Gravity Question: Levitate Objects on Small Planets

• Thread starter PacersRule07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a planet with a lesser gravitational pull, where an object could float just above the surface. However, due to the nature of gravity, it is not possible for an object to float above the surface of a planet, as all matter possesses some gravitational pull.
PacersRule07
If I made a planet that was smaller than Earth's and thus had a lesser gravitational pull, would I be able to reach a point of gravity where the object wouldn't completely touch the surface but would instead float just above the surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
PacersRule07 said:
If I made a planet that was smaller than Earth's and thus had a lesser gravitational pull, would I be able to reach a point of gravity where the object wouldn't completely touch the surface but would instead float just above the surface?
What object? What else do you know about the planet? I will assume you are talking about some small object (compared to the planet). What do you think will happen based on what you know about gravity?

This question makes no sense at all. In a vacuum all matter possesses some gravity and thus would be attracted to each other. So, you could not make an object small enough to allow another object to float above its surface.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How does gravity work on small planets?

The force of gravity on a planet is determined by its mass and the distance between objects. On a smaller planet, the force of gravity will be weaker compared to a larger planet with more mass. This means that objects will feel less of a pull towards the surface of a small planet.

3. Can objects be levitated on small planets?

Yes, objects can be levitated on small planets. However, the force of gravity will play a role in how high and for how long an object can be levitated. The weaker the force of gravity, the easier it will be to levitate objects.

4. How can we calculate the force of gravity on a small planet?

The force of gravity can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. On a small planet, the force of gravity will be weaker due to the smaller mass of the planet.

5. Can the force of gravity be manipulated on small planets?

While the force of gravity cannot be directly manipulated, the effects of gravity can be altered by changing the mass or distance of objects. For example, by changing the mass of an object or altering its distance from the surface of the planet, the force of gravity can be adjusted and potentially affect the levitation of objects on a small planet.