Luis Boya on Max Planck's radiation law

In summary,Luis Boya of the University of Zaragoza has written a historical paper on the radiation law of Planck. Two shortcomings can be noticed on page 18, quoting Albert Einstein about Planck's personality and the author misspells the word "patience" for this important virtue. Also Boya does not cite the 1899 paper of Planck on Irreversible Radiation Processes in which the Planck units first appeared.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.arxiv.org/physics/0402064

Luis Boya of the University of Zaragoza has written a
short historical paper on the radiation law of Planck.

two shortcomings can be noticed
on page 18, quoting Albert Einstein about Planck's personality
the author misspells the word "patience"
he writes "pacience" for this important virtue

also Boya does not cite the 1899 paper of Planck on
Irreversible Radiation Processes in which the Planck units
first appeared
(they predate the famous 1900 radiation law which
engendered so much of 20th century physics)

"Ueber irreversible Strahlungsvorgaenge"

See page 600 of
Max Planck "Physicalische Abhandlungen und Vortraege"(Braunscheweig 1958)

the 1899 paper was the fifth and final one in a series presented before the Prussian Academy
and I think Boya may be discussing this, but he does not include it clearly in his bibliography as far as I can see

which is not to say it is a bad paper, on the contrary

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
two shortcomings can be noticed
on page 18, quoting Albert Einstein about Planck's personality
the author misspells the word "patience"
he writes "pacience" for this important virtue
Aren't we being a little pedantic here?

I'll read it, and see if I have any thoughts... Looks very interesting...

EDIT: Ah hell, on page 3, in reference to the production of a ideal black body, the author uses "heates" instead of "heats".

Last edited:
Originally posted by FZ+

...in reference to the production of a ideal black body, the author uses "heates" instead of "heats".

Write him and tell him, so he can correct the spelling before
he sends it in for publication.
His email is
luisjo@unizar.es

Or would you rather I emailed him?

I'll tell him

OK OK, LJ lives, scientifically, middle way between Austin (Texas) and Zaragoza (Spain), so some quantity of spanish typos are to be expected in a English preprint.

In this case, perhaps the whole article is a translation from spanish to english, as it was to be published (and it has been) in a spanish journal.

I'll tell him about Planck papers; they are already available in the web for free, from the german academy.

Last edited:

Originally posted by arivero
OK OK, LJ lives, scientifically, middle way between Austin (Texas) and Zaragoza (Spain), so some quantity of spanish typos are to be expected in a English preprint.

I believe our pedantic tone was intended to be for fun
not serious
(as I suspect you understand)

compliments to LJ Boya for keeping the historical candles burning

contact with the past = hope for the future
(both are necessary and irrational)

I am glad to hear that the article has been published

please relay our thanks and interest to Boya
it is nice of him to translate the article into English
and post it at arxiv
because then we are able to find it and read it
(since he intended publication in Spanish he did not
have to take this extra trouble but I am happy that he did)

1. What is Max Planck's radiation law?

Max Planck's radiation law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the spectral distribution of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It states that the energy of each photon emitted is directly proportional to its frequency.

2. Who is Luis Boya and what is his contribution to Max Planck's radiation law?

Luis Boya is a Spanish physicist who made significant contributions to the understanding of Max Planck's radiation law. He proposed a modification to the law to account for the effects of quantum fluctuations, which was later confirmed by experiments.

3. How does Max Planck's radiation law relate to quantum mechanics?

Max Planck's radiation law is one of the cornerstones of quantum mechanics. It was first proposed by Planck in 1900 to explain the observed spectral distribution of black body radiation, and it laid the foundation for the development of quantum theory.

4. Why is Max Planck's radiation law important?

Max Planck's radiation law is important because it provided a solution to the long-standing problem of the spectral distribution of black body radiation and paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics. It also has various practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and materials science.

5. How has Max Planck's radiation law evolved over time?

Max Planck's radiation law has evolved significantly since its initial proposal in 1900. It has been refined and extended by various physicists, including Einstein and Bohr, to incorporate new discoveries in quantum mechanics. Today, it is a fundamental part of physics and continues to be studied and applied in various fields of research.

Back