Finding Intersection of Line and Circle: A Challenging Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection between a line and a circle. The participants go through various attempts at solving the problem, including setting the equations equal to each other, making a sketch, and manipulating radicals. Eventually, it is determined that the quadratic equation resulting from the substitution of the line equation into the circle equation has no real solutions.
pokemeharder

Homework Statement

I can't find the intersection for Line y = 3/4x - 35/4
and Circle y^2 + x^2 = 25

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
set them equal to each other.

[tex] y^{2} = 25 - x^{2} [/tex][tex] y =\pm \sqrt{25-x^{2}} [/tex]

Last edited:
how do i get rid of the square on y after i do that

oh sry didnt see that

ah can someone do this for me please, I'm stuck

pokemeharder said:
ah can someone do this for me please, I'm stuck

Courtrigrad pretty much solved it for you already - all you have to do is set the equations equal, since the equation of the line is already given in the form y(x) = ...

Edit: draw a sketch first, this will pretty much solve your problem. :wink:

Last edited:
i kno but i gor to 0 = -3/4x + 5ix + 35/4 and i don't really kno how to solve that

pokemeharder said:
i kno but i gor to 0 = -3/4x + 5ix + 35/4 and i don't really kno how to solve that

OK, let's slow down. Do you know how to make a sketch of the circle y^2 + x^2 = 25, and the line y = 3/4x - 35/4 ? The circle is centered at the origin, with radius 5, and you can sketch down the line easily by finding the points of intersection with the x and y-axis (i.e. setting y = 0, and x = 0). What does that sketch tell you?

well i graphed it and it showed no intersection

now i just need to show that the circle and the line don't intersect algrebraecally or however you spell it.

pokemeharder said:
now i just need to show that the circle and the line don't intersect algrebraecally or however you spell it.

Yes, after reading the posts above again, you'll end up with a quadratic equation which has no real solutions, which is what you need to show.

so wait this function 0 = -3/4x + 5ix + 35/4 has no real solutions because there is a complex number right?

so wait this function 0 = -3/4x + 5ix + 35/4 has no real solutions because there is a complex number right?
Incorrect -- sometimes complex equations can have real solutions. You have to show the solutions are not real. (say, by solving it)

Last edited:
pokemeharder said:

I'm wondering how you arrived at that equation, because I don't think you should end up with a quadratic equation with complex coefficients in this problem.

well if u set the y values to equal each other
3/4x + 35/4 = sqr root of (25 - x^2)

you get 0 = -3/4x + 5ix + 35/4

pokemeharder said:
well if u set the y values to equal each other
3/4x + 35/4 = sqr root of (25 - x^2)

you get 0 = -3/4x + 5ix + 35/4

Ummm... I don't think that's what you get. I don't see where the 5ix comes from at all.

well u change it into sqr(25) x sqr(-x^2)
then u sqroot the 25 to 5 and the sqr root of -x^2 is sqr(-1) x sqr(x^2)
so its 5ix
i = sqr(-1)

pokemeharder said:
well u change it into sqr(25) x sqr(-x^2)
then u sqroot the 25 to 5 and the sqr root of -x^2 is sqr(-1) x sqr(x^2)
so its 5ix
i = sqr(-1)

You can't do that.

the square root of -1 is called i
its always called i

hacker077 said:
you must be an idiot if you can't get this. its quite damn simple...read your textbook

Im only 14...

pokemeharder said:
the square root of -1 is called i
its always called i

Was this directed at me? If so I know quite well what i is, I am saying that there should be NO i in your quadratic equation and that you cannot manipulate radicals as you did above.

thats why it doesn't work out

its not quadratic anyways there's no x squared

pokemeharder said:
thats why it doesn't work out

its not quadratic anyways there's no x squared

It would be a quadratic if you had delt with the square root correctly? How do you undo a square root?

oh yeah right...
didnt see that
how do u deal with the root properly then lol

pokemeharder said:
oh yeah right...
didnt see that
how do u deal with the root properly then lol

Well what happens if you square the square root of something.

d_leet said:
Well what happens if you square the square root of something.

XD right sry i feel stupid now
um thanks alot

pokemeharder said:
XD right sry i feel stupid now
um thanks alot

Your welcome.

I'm getting into this a bit late but I'm afraid Courtrigrads original suggestion of writing [itex]y= \sqrt{25-x^2}[/itex] was misleading. Better is to substitute y= (1/4)(3x- 35) into [itex]x^2+ y^2= 25[/itex]. Then you get a quadratic equation for x and can use the quadratic formula to show that it has no real solutions.

1. How do you find the intersection points between a circle and a line?

To find the intersection points between a circle and a line, you can use the equation of a circle and the equation of a line. Set the equations equal to each other and solve for the x-values of the intersection points. Then, plug the x-values into the equation of the line to find the y-values. This will give you the coordinates of the intersection points.

2. Can a line intersect a circle at more than two points?

No, a line can only intersect a circle at a maximum of two points. This is because a line and a circle can only intersect at most twice, unless the line is tangent to the circle, in which case it will only intersect at one point.

3. What happens if the line is tangent to the circle?

If the line is tangent to the circle, it means that it touches the circle at exactly one point. In this case, the line and the circle share the same point of intersection. Therefore, the coordinates of the intersection point will be the same for both the line and the circle.

4. Can a line be parallel to a circle?

Yes, a line can be parallel to a circle. This means that the line and the circle do not intersect at any point. In this case, there will be no intersection points between the line and the circle.

5. Is it possible for a line to intersect a circle at exactly one point?

Yes, it is possible for a line to intersect a circle at exactly one point. This can happen if the line is tangent to the circle, as mentioned in question 3. It can also happen if the line is a chord of the circle, which means it crosses through the center of the circle.