What are the best resources for learning LaTex?

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tags
In summary, there is a list of LaTeX tags available on the web, which can be found by searching for an introduction to LaTeX. On this forum, clicking on any LaTeX code and selecting "LaTeX code reference" provides an introduction to some common tags. However, for a comprehensive list, it is recommended to use external resources such as the LaTeX tutorials and references provided by the TeX Users Group and other sources. Some useful references include "A Short Introduction to LaTeX" by Tobias Oetiker, "LaTeX Primer" by Peter Flynn, and "User's Guide for the amsmath Package" by the American Mathematical Society. Additionally, defining new commands in LaTeX, such as bra-ket notation, can be very useful for advanced users
kasse
Is there any list of [tex] tags on this website?

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you mean things like \sum. These 'tags' aren't forum/html tags, they are the normal 'tags' in LaTeX; there is an exhaustive list of such things on the web if you google for an introduction to latex.

[tex]click here[/tex]

If you click on that (Or any latex code on this forum) and click on "LaTeX code reference" you will get an introduction to some of the common LaTeX tags. But of course as Matt Grime said, if you want an exhaustive one you will need to go to google.

Last edited:
One of the most useful thing in 'real' latex and not just this forum implementation og the math is defining new comands. that new you just define your bra and kets:
\newcommand{\ket}[1]{\, |#1\rangle}
\newcommand{\bra}[1]{\langle #1 |\,}

[tex]\langle \phi|\land |\phi\rangle[/tex]

There are a lot of LaTex tutorials and references on the Web.

The TeX Users Group has a web site, http://www.tug.org/" .

I find the following three references to be very useful. My copies are very well-worn (or the electronic equivalence of well-worn):
http://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf"
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/ltxprimer-1.0.pdf"
"ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/amsldoc.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a list of [tex] tags on a website?

A list of [tex] tags on a website is used to display mathematical equations and symbols in a visually appealing and organized manner. It allows for easy understanding and interpretation of complex mathematical concepts.

2. How do I use [tex] tags on my website?

To use [tex] tags on your website, you will need to use a markup language such as HTML or LaTeX. Simply wrap your mathematical equation or symbol in the [tex] tags and it will be rendered correctly on your webpage.

3. Can [tex] tags be used for any type of mathematical expression?

Yes, [tex] tags can be used for a wide range of mathematical expressions, including but not limited to equations, fractions, calculus, and trigonometry. They are a versatile tool for displaying any type of mathematical content on a website.

4. Are there any limitations to using [tex] tags on a website?

While [tex] tags can be used for a variety of mathematical expressions, they may not be compatible with all browsers or devices. It is important to test your website on different platforms to ensure that the [tex] tags are rendering correctly.

5. Is there a limit to the number of [tex] tags I can use on a single webpage?

There is no specific limit to the number of [tex] tags that can be used on a single webpage. However, it is important to use them sparingly and only when necessary to avoid overwhelming the reader with too many mathematical expressions.