How to calculate resistance between two electrodes filled with water

In summary, the person is asking for help with calculating the resistance between two electrodes filled with water of a known conductivity solution, in two different experimental conditions. They provide the dimensions and conductivity values for each case and ask for help with plugging them into the formula for resistance. They also mention a helpful resource for understanding resistivity.
guptasuryakant
Hello ,

Can someone from this group help me ,how to calculate resistance between two electrodes filled with water with a known conductivity solution.

In my case I have two experimental conditions. First there are two rectangular plates separated with a gap of 30 mm.

In second case this is a cylindrical geometry Innner electrode dia is 10 mm. And outer electrode dia is 50 mm. In between water is filled with a conductivity of 500µ cm/cm.

If some one can answer atleast for one case it will be useful for me.

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the rectangular case, the resistance is

[tex]R = \frac{\rho L}{A}[/tex]

Where A is the crossectional area, and the resistivity is [tex]\rho[/tex]

The calculation is similar for the cylindrical geometry, but you need to set up an integral to do it over small volume elements that approximate the rectangular situation.

How I can put the value in place of resistivity

Thanks for your prompt reply

How I can put the value in place of resistivity in above fourmula

You said you knew the conductivity of the solution. Probably conductivity and resistivity are just inverses, but check the units to be sure.

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance between two electrodes filled with water?

The formula for calculating resistance between two electrodes filled with water is R = ρ * (L/A), where R is the resistance in ohms, ρ is the resistivity of water in ohm-meters, L is the distance between the two electrodes in meters, and A is the cross-sectional area of the water in square meters.

2. How does the resistivity of water affect the overall resistance?

The resistivity of water is a measure of how well it resists the flow of electric current. The higher the resistivity, the more difficult it is for electricity to flow through the water, resulting in a higher overall resistance between the two electrodes.

3. Is the distance between the two electrodes important in calculating resistance?

Yes, the distance between the two electrodes is a crucial factor in calculating resistance. As the distance increases, the resistance also increases, as there is a longer path for the electricity to travel through the water.

4. Can the cross-sectional area of the water affect the resistance?

Yes, the cross-sectional area of the water can affect the resistance. A larger cross-sectional area means there is more space for the electricity to flow through, resulting in a lower resistance. On the other hand, a smaller cross-sectional area will result in a higher resistance.

5. Is there a difference in resistance between distilled water and tap water?

Yes, there is a difference in resistance between distilled water and tap water. Distilled water has a higher resistivity compared to tap water, meaning it has a higher resistance. This is because distilled water does not contain any impurities that can conduct electricity, while tap water may contain minerals and other substances that can lower its resistivity.