Pretty simple problem I thought.

• Thread starter land
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the conditions for the potential energy function V(x) to have no bound stationary states and exactly three stationary states. The individual wave equations for Region I and II are considered, but the specific constants are still unknown. The problem is further clarified to be about understanding how there can be no stationary states in a potential well.
land

Homework Statement

The potential energy of a particle is defined by the piecewise function:

V(x) = infinity if x<0
V(x) = -V0 if 0<x<b
V(x) = 0 if x>b

So it's like a square well with one side being infinite. I need to find the condition on V0 and b so that no bound stationary states exist, then for there to be exactly three stationary states.

Homework Equations

Uh.. not sure. For a regular square well, I have that if V0 > 0 there is at least one stationary state. So for there to be none, V0 has to be less than zero? But this isn't quite the same as a square well.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above. I also know that each stationary state must have a node at x=0. I just don't know how to put all this together..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK... could really use some help on this one. I thought if I started with the individual wave equations, I could figure it out. So for what I'm calling Region I, 0<x<b, I came up with [tex]\Psi=C_I^+cos[\sqrt{2m(V_0-\epsilon)}(\frac{x}{\hbar}})]+C_I^-sin[\sqrt{2m(V_0-\epsilon)}(\frac{x}{\hbar})][/tex], and for region II, x>b, [tex]\Psi=C_{II}e^{-\sqrt{2m\epsilon}(\frac{x}{\hbar})[/tex], where epsilon is the binding energy. I'm doing this based on the assumption that it's like a regular square well, so I have no idea if that's right or not. Now before I can impose the condition that there is no node at x=0, it seems like I should figure out the constants. To do that I tried to impose that the wavefunctions and their derivative are continuous at x=b.. but that still leaves you with 2 equations and 3 unknowns, so it can't be solved yet.

A nudge in the right direction (or even an acknowledgment that I'm totally wrong) would be much appreciated.

Hm.. could it be that I'm not explaining the problem clearly enough? Let me know if so. I tried to draw something to post here but it's sort of confusing. It's just a semi-infinite square well, as nearly as I can tell.. but I really think I'm doing this wrong.

let me rephrase.. how can it be that there are no stationary states in a potential well? i think if i can understand that, the rest of it will be easy.

Your wavefunction should vanish at x=0. There may be fewer constants than you think. Nudge.

1. What is the "Pretty simple problem" referred to in the statement?

The "Pretty simple problem" is a vague and general term used to describe a problem or puzzle that is perceived to be straightforward and easy to solve.

2. Why is it considered a simple problem?

It is considered a simple problem because it is believed to have a clear and direct solution that can be easily understood and implemented.

3. Who thought the problem was simple?

The person who made the statement likely thought the problem was simple. However, this perception may vary among individuals depending on their knowledge, skills, and experience.

4. Is the problem actually simple?

This is subjective and can vary depending on the individual's understanding and approach to the problem. What may seem simple to one person may be challenging for another.

5. How can one solve a "Pretty simple problem"?

The solution to a "Pretty simple problem" can vary depending on the problem itself. However, some general steps to solving a problem include understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, gathering information and resources, and testing and refining the solution.