Simplify and Solve Trig Equation

In summary, the equation cos x=0 can be solved using the fact that if t=\tan\frac{x}{2} then \displaystyle{\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}} and \displaystyle{\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}}, solve for t, should be a quatic eqn and then you can solve for x.
Gib Z
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Simplify and Solve the Following Trigonometric Equation

Homework Equations

[tex]\cos^2 x - 3\cos x - 2\sin x +2 =0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've changed the expression, but it doesn't seem any better...

I've got [tex]\frac{\cot x \cdot (\cos (x) -3)}{2}=1 - \csc x[/tex]

But that doesn't seem to help me at all...Stuck badly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solving equations that only contain sin x or cos x is easier than an equation that contains both.

Yes, I know how to solve those ones. Unfortunately this one didn't come this way...

try using the fact that if [tex]t=\tan\frac{x}{2}[/tex] then
[tex]\displaystyle{\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}}[/tex] and
[tex]\displaystyle{\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}}[/tex], solve for [tex]t[/tex], should be a quatic eqn and then you can solve for [tex]x[/tex].

NB: may not be the simplest way to do things, but at least in principle this will work. would like to see if there is a simpler way to do this...

Upon substituting [tex]\cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix}})[/tex] and [tex]\sin(x)=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{ix}-e^{-ix}})[/tex], where [tex]i^2=-1[/tex], you end up with a quartic polynomial in one variable "[tex]e^{ix}[/tex]", which generally has four solutions.

If the above method is not allowed or not what is expected, you probably have to rewrite the equation in terms of one trigonometric-function of x [using trig identities], as suggested by Moridin.

I have absolutely no idea how to do this using identities, just makes anything I do more messy and doesn't help. And I don't think this problem should require math from that level, but ill try it. Solving quartics are hard though...

I (hopefully correctly) typed in the equation to Maple and asked for solutions. Two of the four roots for x are real (and will probably arise simply).. the other two are complex and are not pretty (though trig function of these may be prettier).

if you use my method, the quartic in [tex]t[/tex] that you need to solve is actually very easy to do! try it! Hint: there are two real integer roots, the remaining complex roots can then be easily worked out using the quadratic equation. Finding [tex]x[/tex] is then a matter of inverting the [tex]\tan[/tex].
NB: robphy's method is in essence the same; the only difference is that you introduce complex numbers from the very beginning.

Maybe there is a simpler way. I didn't actaully post my original question, but what I got it to correctly, here's the whole thing.

cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ cos x = 2cos(x/2 + pi/4)sin(3x/2 - pi/4)
cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ cos x= sin2x - cos x
cos^3 x-3cos^2 x+ 2cos x - 2sinxcosx=0
cos x(cos^2 - 3cos x +2 - 2sin x)=0

Now I'll do the first one, cos x=0, now I needed the 2nd part. Was there an easier way from the start?

Ill try using the t, looks good.

What is the process for simplifying and solving a trigonometric equation?

The first step is to use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation as much as possible. Then, isolate the variable by using algebraic methods such as factoring, distributing, and combining like terms. Finally, use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable.

Can you provide an example of simplifying and solving a trigonometric equation?

For example, let's say we have the equation sin(x) + cos(x) = 2. We can use the identity sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 to simplify the left side of the equation to 1. Then, we can subtract 1 from both sides to isolate the variable, giving us cos(x) = 1. Using the inverse cosine function, we can solve for x and get x = 0.

What should I do if there are multiple solutions to a trigonometric equation?

If there are multiple solutions, you should use the general solution formula for the specific type of trigonometric equation you are working with. This will give you all possible solutions for the equation.

What is the difference between simplifying and solving a trigonometric equation?

Simplifying a trigonometric equation involves using trigonometric identities to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Solving a trigonometric equation involves finding the specific values of the variable that satisfy the equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying and solving a trigonometric equation?

Some common mistakes include not using the correct trigonometric identities, forgetting to isolate the variable, and not considering all possible solutions. It is also important to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to ensure they are valid.