S/w to turn still images into movie

In summary, you can drop a set of images one per frame into a Flash movie using the align window. Alternatively, you could re-scan the images upside down.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've got a sequence of illustrated images that I want to run as an animation. What is an easy shareware way to do this? (It is a simple cell animation sequence that I once did.)

I've got a gif animator program but my images are large and plentiful (say, 320x240 x 100 frames).

Computer science news on Phys.org
I get the trial of flash - and drag/drop my images (numbered consecutively) into it - flash recognises that you want them as consecutive images in a movie; converts them to swf from which you can export as you like.

*slaps forehead*

I didn't even think of Flash. Thank you.

I guess my Flash is a bit rusty. I'm using an MX trial.

Is there a painless way to drop a set of images into a flash sequence one image per frame? At the moment, I can only do one at a time, and each one needs to be a keyframe. It'll be painstaking.

If you try selecting all the images at once and dragging them onto a keyframe (in the keyframe window, not in the window showing the contents of the keyframe... like, in the timeline window or whatever.), I think it MIGHT automatically create a new keyframe for each image. Try it. I haven't played with flash for a long time so chances are I am wrong. But it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. Didn't work.

Also, it'd be nice if I could snap my images to the window border/centre, since they're all full-frame.

Also, all my images are upside-down - an artifact of the scanning process. I need to find a bulk method for flipping them - either in Flash or elsewhere.

DaveC426913 said:
Also, all my images are upside-down - an artifact of the scanning process.
Re-scan them upside down. :tongue2:

I use Fireworks from Adobe (Macromedia), to create .gif animations from images. I've also used Animation Shop from Jasc (ships with Paint Shop Pro). You might have some problems exporting your flash movie to an animated gif.

In flash you can snap, or align, your images with respect to the "stage" or each other, using the align window.
As for dropping a sequence of images, one per keyframe, it does that automatically for .gifs or movies, which doesn't help you much. However, if your images are all named the same, (i.e. IMG1.gif, IMG2.gif, IMG3.gif, etc) when you import one of those images into flash it should prompt:
"This image seems to be part of an animation, do you want to import all images?"
... or something to that effect. If you do, i believe it imports the images one per keyframe.

DaveC426913 said:
Also, all my images are upside-down - an artifact of the scanning process. I need to find a bulk method for flipping them - either in Flash or elsewhere.

If you use Photoshop you could set up a batch to do this.
Windows
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digitalphotography/l/blps_batch.htm
Mac
http://www.creativemac.com/2002/04_apr/tutorials/psbatch.htm

Math Is Hard said:
If you use Photoshop you could set up a batch to do this.
Thank you! I know how to do actions, but I didn't know how to batch them!

What is the best software for turning still images into a movie?

The best software for turning still images into a movie will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Windows Movie Maker. It is important to research and try out different options to find the one that works best for you.

Can I use free software to turn still images into a movie?

Yes, there are many free software options available for turning still images into a movie. Some examples include iMovie for Mac users and Shotcut for Windows users. These programs may have limited features compared to paid software, but can still be effective for basic projects.

Do I need any special equipment to turn still images into a movie?

No, you do not need any special equipment to turn still images into a movie. However, having a good quality camera or smartphone to capture high-resolution images may result in a better final product.

Can I add music or sound effects to my movie created from still images?

Yes, most movie-making software will allow you to add music or sound effects to your movie. You can import audio files or record your own sounds using a microphone. This can add depth and emotion to your movie.

Is it possible to edit the length and order of the images in my movie?

Yes, most software for turning still images into a movie will have a timeline or storyboard feature where you can arrange the order of your images and adjust the length of each image's appearance. This allows you to create a cohesive and visually appealing movie.