Home network with Win 98 & 2000

In summary, the conversation is about setting up a home network between two computers, one with Win 2000 Pro and the other with Win 98 SE. The Win 2000 computer is able to connect to the Win 98 computer, but not vice versa. The user is looking for an easier way to set up the network and mentions having successfully set up a network between Win XP and Win 98 before. They are using the network for file and print sharing and someone suggests creating user accounts for everyone that needs access to the Win 2000 machine. A Google search provides information on how to set up these accounts.
incognito41
I'm trying to set up a home network between two comuters. i have both connected to a router and they connect to the internet just fine. On computer has Win 2000 Pro and the other Win 98 SE. My computer with win 2000 is able to see and connect to the win 98 machine but i can't get the win98 to connect to the other. It sees it just fine but when i click on it, the comp asks for a password and it won't accept the one i gave it to begin with. anyone have an easier way to set up the network? i managed to setup a network between winxp and win98 before. win2K seems to not be very user friendly when it comes to networking. I'm networking for file sharing and print sharing. thanks for the help.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Setting up a home network between different operating systems can be tricky, but it is definitely possible. It seems like you have already made some progress by connecting both computers to the router and being able to access the internet. However, it seems like there may be some issues with the sharing settings on the Win 98 computer.

One thing you can try is to make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup. To do this, go to the Control Panel on both computers and select "System". Under the "Computer Name" tab, you should see a section for "Workgroup". Make sure that both computers are in the same workgroup name. This will help with sharing files and printers between the two computers.

Another thing to check is the sharing settings on the Win 98 computer. Make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled and that the correct folders and printers are being shared. You can also try creating a new user account on the Win 98 computer and using that account and password to access the shared files and printers from the Win 2000 computer.

If these steps do not work, you may need to check the network settings on the Win 2000 computer. Make sure that the firewall is not blocking any incoming connections and that the network adapter is set to "File and Printer Sharing" in the properties.

Overall, setting up a network between different operating systems can be challenging, but with some troubleshooting and patience, you should be able to get it working. Good luck!

What is a home network?

A home network is a group of devices (such as computers, printers, and routers) connected together within a home environment. This allows the devices to communicate and share resources, such as internet access and files.

Can I connect a computer with Windows 98 and Windows 2000 to the same network?

Yes, you can connect both computers to the same network. However, you may encounter compatibility issues due to the different operating systems. It is recommended to use a newer operating system for better compatibility.

Do I need any special equipment for a home network?

In most cases, you will need a router to connect your devices together. You may also need Ethernet cables and network adapters if your devices do not have built-in network capabilities. Additionally, you may need to configure your router and computers to properly set up the network.

How do I share files between Windows 98 and Windows 2000 computers on a home network?

You can share files by setting up file sharing on both computers. This can be done by right-clicking on the folder or file you want to share, selecting "Properties", and then enabling file sharing. You may also need to adjust the network settings on both computers to allow for file sharing.

Can I access the internet on both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 computers through the home network?

Yes, you can access the internet on both computers through the home network. You will need to connect the router to your modem and configure the network settings on both computers to use the shared internet connection.