Ceramic Cutting Tools: Speed & Depth Data

In summary, the author is looking for data on cutting speeds and depths of cut for ceramic cutting tools, but is concerned that the manufacturer doesn't have this information.
fbrasileiro
Could somebody help me to get information of cutting speed and depth of cut for ceramic cutting tools?
I would need to have a data for all the ceramic types.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The manufacturer's technical data sheets should tell you everything you need to know.

A vague question gets a vague answer, so as a guide, for turning, carbide coated tools run at cutting speeds from 25-360m/s, at feed speeds between 0.25-1.5mm/rev.

Last edited:
Clearing up!

Thanks Brewnog!

The thing is, at the company that I work will start to sell Ceramic Cutting Tools and I don't have a technical sheet for it, therefore I want a help to get it in order to formulate one of our own.

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't start recommending customers with feeds and speeds based on the information I gave you; those details were just typical values for a wide range of workpiece materials and tool types.

The tool manufacturer will be able to give you all the technical data you need.

Thanks!

It happens that my sister company is the manufacturer and they don't have this info., therefore I need to put it together in order to start selling it.
I've got some info. from Kennametal, but it's metal inserts.
(http://chris.gillings.com/collect/slide/kennametal_csc.html)

fcesar: Obrigado, já havia pesquisado neste site, mas gratuitamente não da acesso a este conteúdo!

I'm a bit concerned that the manufacturer doesn't have information for safe cutting speeds, let alone recommended feeds and speeds!

brewnog said:
I'm a bit concerned that the manufacturer doesn't have information for safe cutting speeds, let alone recommended feeds and speeds!

I guess that's no-brand quality right there.

1. What are ceramic cutting tools?

Ceramic cutting tools are tools used in machining processes to cut, shape, or remove material from a workpiece. They are made from a variety of ceramic materials, such as alumina, silicon nitride, and zirconia, which offer high hardness and wear resistance.

2. How do speed and depth data affect the performance of ceramic cutting tools?

The speed and depth data are crucial factors in determining the cutting performance of ceramic cutting tools. Higher speeds can result in better surface finish and faster material removal, but they also increase the risk of tool wear and breakage. On the other hand, deeper cuts can increase productivity but may also cause chipping or cracking of the tool. Therefore, it is essential to optimize the speed and depth for each specific cutting operation.

3. What is the recommended speed range for ceramic cutting tools?

The recommended speed range for ceramic cutting tools varies depending on the specific material and type of tool being used. In general, the speed range can be anywhere from 200 to 1000 meters per minute. It is essential to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific tool being used to achieve the best results.

4. How is the depth of cut determined for ceramic cutting tools?

The depth of cut for ceramic cutting tools is typically determined based on the material being machined and the type of operation being performed. In general, a deeper cut will remove material faster, but it also increases the risk of tool damage. It is crucial to consider the material properties and the desired surface finish when determining the appropriate depth of cut.

5. What factors can affect the speed and depth data for ceramic cutting tools?

Several factors can affect the speed and depth data for ceramic cutting tools, including the type and hardness of the material being machined, the type of tool being used, the rigidity of the machine tool, and the coolant or lubricant being used. It is important to consider these factors when determining the optimal speed and depth for a cutting operation.