Privacy vs Security: Examining the Debate on TIA Systems

• News
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary: People need to get over the idea of privacy. It simply does not exist for people who choose to live anywhere except in caves. What TIA does is no different from what marketing companies do. Originally posted by russ_watters
But why would you expect it to have stopped terrorism? The INS issued student visas to what was it 6 or so of the 9-11 hijackers, after the fact. If you're making the argument that better software in general will help, that's certain, but computer networks tend to be leaky somewhere, and you're talking about a lot of people who have to have data access at some point. I see 2 big disadvantages.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Hurkyl
Because good data mining algorithms can function as a strong work multiplier. It is not unreasonable to expect that a classification algorithm could place 75% of the worthwhile data into the 25% highest rated records, thus tripling the effectiveness of the agents that work with that type of data.

Ah, I suppose that that could reduce the amount of employees, if we could trust the government's intentions. However, I was thinking of bigger government as being more intrusive, more omnipresent.