Dihydrogen Monoxide, the cause of all the world's problems

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, a paralegal believed an Internet hoax site describing dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that is lethal if ingested. The City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events. The measure has been pulled from the agenda, although Norman said the city may still eventually ban foam cups.
wasteofo2
http://www.dhmo.org/

It's really frightening what this dihydrogen monoxide can do. I've heard that without it, none of the current viruses or bacteria that are currently around could survive. It's apparently used widely with no regulation at all, and is found almost everywhere on earth, from the polar ice-caps to the bottom of the ocean, to your own back yard! It also contributes to errosion of soil, enables acid rain, can cause massive property damage, and every living organism on the whole planet has been exposed to it.

It's really horrifying to know our government isn't paying any regard to this at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
wasteof2, thank you for bringing the dangers of this horrible substance to the readers of PF. I personally have recently been a victim of a large amount of dihydrogen monoxide coming through my septic tank and the full damage has yet to be assessed.

NO! I've been consuming this product for practically all my life. I feel so ashamed, at times when I've played sports, I've taken large doses of the dreaded Dihydrogen monoxide. To think I've been fooled all these years. I'm sorry Mama, your boy is an addict.

Speaking of which, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114168,00.html

It looks like city officials in Aliso Viejo, Calif. (search), need to brush up on their chemistry after they considered banning foam cups because they were produced with dihydrogen monoxide.

Far from being the toxic chemical they believed it was, dihydrogen monoxide is the benign, common substance known as H2O -- the scientific name for water.

The gaffe occurred when an Aliso Viejo paralegal believed an Internet hoax site describing dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that is lethal if ingested.

"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."

As a result, the City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events. Among the reasons given for the ban were that they were made with a substance that could "threaten human health and safety."

The measure has been pulled from the agenda, although Norman said the city may still eventually ban foam cups.

"Our main concern is with the Aliso Creek watershed," Norman said. "If you get Styrofoam into the water and it breaks apart, it's virtually impossible to clean up."

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD! WE ARE ALL DOOMED!
I say we should all switch to Carbon Monoxide. It's still a monoxide and it has carbon which we all know it's the base element of life.

Even better would be propanone. It has both carbon and oxygen. Carbon is the base element of life and everybody knows we need oxygen.

I read this last night and tried it out on my Science Teacher. And it worked!

Well, she did figure out the joke after around a minute...

Uht oh... I think I may have a large amount of Dihydrogen Monoxide in my body. :frown: Bad news for me, considering that a considerable amount of dihydrogen monoxide resides near my house.

A friend pulled this joke on me:
It's tasteless, colorless, odorless, fatal if inhaled, and water soluble. It's dihydrogen monoxide!

1. What is dihydrogen monoxide?

Dihydrogen monoxide, also known as H2O, is the chemical name for water. It is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, and is essential for all life on Earth.

2. Is dihydrogen monoxide really the cause of all the world's problems?

No, this is a common misconception. Dihydrogen monoxide is a crucial component of our planet's ecosystem and is not the cause of all the world's problems.

3. What are some of the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide?

Dihydrogen monoxide can be dangerous in certain forms, such as steam or ice, as it can cause burns or drowning. However, in its natural liquid form, it is not harmful to humans.

4. Why is dihydrogen monoxide often portrayed as a harmful substance?

Some individuals or groups may spread false information about dihydrogen monoxide in order to create fear or manipulate public opinion. It is important to always fact-check and seek reliable sources of information.

5. How can I reduce my use of dihydrogen monoxide?

It is not possible to completely eliminate the use of dihydrogen monoxide, as it is necessary for our survival. However, we can reduce our consumption by being mindful of our water usage and finding ways to conserve it, such as fixing leaks and using water-efficient appliances.