Choosing a faculty for research

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the individual is a community college student applying for an undergraduate research program at UCSB. They are unsure of which faculty member to choose and what area of physics to pursue for graduate school. However, they believe that at the undergraduate level, the type of research is not as important as simply gaining research experience. They suggest focusing more on the undergraduate program itself and using graduate school to figure out a specific area of interest. The individual has already submitted their application and chose condensed matter professors, even though they would prefer to do mathematical physics or astrophysics. They believe that an experimental area may be better for their current situation.
proton
I'm a community college student applying for a undergrad reserach program at UCSB, but I don't know which faculty member to choose. I haven't taken any upperdiv classes yet so I don't know which area of physics to pursue for grad school, but for now, I want to theoretical physics, in perhaps astrophysics or mathematical physics. But is it wise to do research in theoretical physics right now? or would it be smarter to do experimental, such as condensed matter or experimental high energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience (however little) would suggest that at the undergraduate level, the type of research you do isn't as important as the fact that you've done research. Theoretical astrophysics, mathematical physics, it doesn't really matter, so long as you've done some good research experience. To be honest, I'd focus more on the undergrad program itself: the classes they offer, how well they'll prepare you for graduate school, and other things of that nature. Graduate school is the time to figure out what area of physics you want to go into. Heck, my senior thesis was in space physics (not to be confused with astrophysics), and this summer in grad school I'm doing work on high energy astrophysics. Obviously if you do a lot of work in one area, you'll become quite adept at it. But now isn't really the time for you to specialize. Heck, I'll be a first year grad student this May, and it isn't even time for me to specialize!

Ah its too late. I already submitted the application just before you responded. I chose condensed matter professors even though I would rather do mathematical physics or astrophysics, because I thought that an experimental area would be better. Oh well, not a big problem

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a faculty for research?

When choosing a faculty for research, it is important to consider the faculty's expertise in your research area, the availability of resources and funding, the faculty's publication record, the faculty's teaching and mentoring style, and the overall culture and environment of the department or university.

2. How can I find out about a faculty's research interests and projects?

You can find out about a faculty's research interests and projects by visiting their department's website, reading their publications, attending seminars or conferences where they are presenting, and reaching out to current or former students to learn about their experiences working with the faculty.

3. Is it important to have a personal connection with a faculty member before joining their research group?

While having a personal connection with a faculty member can be beneficial, it is not necessary for joining their research group. What is more important is finding a faculty member whose research aligns with your interests and goals, and who has the resources and support to help you succeed in your research.

4. What should I look for in a research mentor?

A good research mentor should have a strong track record of success in their own research, be approachable and supportive, provide guidance and feedback, and create opportunities for you to develop your skills and knowledge. It is also important to find a mentor whose working style and expectations align with your own.

5. Can I switch to a different faculty for research if I am not satisfied with my current mentor?

It is possible to switch to a different faculty for research if you are not satisfied with your current mentor. However, it is important to carefully consider the reasons for wanting to switch and to have open and honest communication with your mentor before making any decisions. It is also important to consider the potential impact on your research progress and relationships with other faculty members before making a switch.