Parametrization of straigth line in space

In summary, to parametrize a straight line in 3 dimensions from point A(2,-1,3) to point B(4,2,-1), you can use the equation t*B+(1-t)*A where t runs from 0 to 1. Another approach is treating it as a vector equation, where X(t)= <2t+2, 3t-1, -2t+3> and t ranges from 0 to 1. Both methods result in an infinite number of parameterizations.
kasse
How can I parametrize the straigth line C from (2,-1,3) to (4,2,-1)?

In the xy-plane I simply use the eq. y-y(0)=m(x-x(0)) to find the parametrization, but what should I do when we have 3 dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
A straight line from A to B can be parametrized by t*B+(1-t)*A where t runs from 0 to 1.

Last edited:
There are two ways to approach this: If x is a linear function of the parameter, t, i.e. x= at+ b, when t= 0, x= 2, when t= 1, x= 4, what are a and b? If y is a linear function of the parametre, t, i.e. y= ct+ d, when t= 0, y= -1, when t= 1, y= 2, what are c and d? If z is a linear function of the parameter, t, i.e. z= et+ f, when t= 0, z= 3, when t= 1, z= -1, what are e and f?

Or,treat it as a vector equation: X(t)= <x(t),y(t),z(t)>= At+ B where A and B are vectors. When t= 0 X(0)= <2, -1, 3>= B. When t= 1, X(1)= <4,2,1>= A+ B and so A= <4, 2, 1>- B= <4,2,1>- <2,-1,3>= <2, 3, -2>: X(t)= <2, 3,-2>t+ <2, -1, 3>= <2t+2,3t-1,-2t+ 3>.

Notice that, in both of these methods, as well as Dicks method take t between 0 and 1. Since there are an infinite number of different parameterizations for a curve, you are free to do that.

1. What is parametrization of straight line in space?

Parametrization of straight line in space is a mathematical process used to describe a straight line in three-dimensional space using one or more parameters. It allows us to represent a line as a set of coordinates or points in space, making it easier to calculate and manipulate.

2. Why is parametrization of straight line in space important?

Parametrization of straight line in space is important because it helps us to visualize, analyze, and solve problems involving lines in three-dimensional space. It also simplifies complex calculations and allows us to express a line in a more concise and efficient manner.

3. How is parametrization of straight line in space done?

Parametrization of straight line in space is done by assigning variables or parameters to the coordinates of points on the line. These parameters are then manipulated using equations and constraints to represent the line in a specific form, such as vector, parametric, or symmetric equations.

4. What are the advantages of using parametrization of straight line in space?

There are several advantages of using parametrization of straight line in space. It allows us to easily find the distance between two points on a line, determine the intersection of two lines, and find the shortest distance from a point to a line. It also enables us to analyze the direction, slope, and curvature of a line in three-dimensional space.

5. Can parametrization of straight line in space be applied to curved lines?

No, parametrization of straight line in space is only applicable to straight lines. For curved lines, a different method called parametrization of curves is used, which involves using a function to represent the coordinates of points on the curve.