Calculating Moment of Inertia for Cylinder and Sphere Intersection

In summary, the next step in finding the moment of inertia of the region inside both the cylinder r=a and the sphere rho=2a is to break down the integral into two parts: integrating using cylindrical coordinates over the enclosed part of the cylinder, and integrating using spherical coordinates over the two spherical caps. Caution should be taken with the lower bound of the rho integral while integrating the spherical caps.
kasse
Find the moment of inertia around the x-axis of the region that lies inside both the cylinder r=a and the sphere rho=2a.

*Here's what I've done so far: http://www.badongo.com/pic/574867

Am I on the right track? If so, what's the next step? If not, what's wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well one mistake is that rho does not go from 0 to 2a. The cylinder is only of radius a.

In any case, what I suggest is to break down the intergral into two parts. In the first, you'll integrate using cylindrical coordinates over the part of the cylinder enclosed in the sphere, and in the second, you'll integrate using spherical coordinates over the two little spherical caps of the cylinder. Be careful with the lower bound of the rho integral while integrating the spherical caps.

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia for a cylinder and sphere intersection?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia for a cylinder and sphere intersection is I = 1/2 (MR^2 + 2/3 MR^2), where M is the mass of the object, and R is the radius of the cylinder or sphere.

2. How do I determine the mass and radius for the calculation?

The mass and radius can be determined by measuring the physical dimensions of the object. The mass can be measured directly using a scale, while the radius can be measured using a ruler or caliper.

3. Can the moment of inertia be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and must always be positive.

4. Can the moment of inertia change for a cylinder and sphere intersection?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change depending on the orientation of the object and the axis of rotation. It will also change if the mass or radius of the object changes.

5. How is the moment of inertia for a cylinder and sphere intersection used in physics?

The moment of inertia is used in physics to calculate the rotational acceleration and angular momentum of an object. It is an important quantity in understanding the motion of objects in rotational motion.