Magnetic Force to balance out Electric Force

In summary, the electric field between the plates in the gap creates a magnetic field that allows the electron to travel in a straight line.
mbrmbrg

Homework Statement

In the figure (see attatched), an electron accelerated from rest through potential difference 2.0 kV enters the gap between two parallel plates having separation 20.0 mm and potential difference 130 V. The lower plate is at the lower potential. Neglect fringing and assume that the electron's velocity vector is perpendicular to the electric field vector between the plates. What uniform magnetic field allows the electron to travel in a straight line in the gap?
(answer is in Telsa, and the field is in the positive-k direction.)

Homework Equations

When a system is in equilibrium,
[tex]\sum F=0[/tex]

Magnetic (Lorentz?) Force is given by:
[tex]F_B=qv\times B[/tex]

Electric Force is given by:
[tex]F=qE[/tex]

The electric field produced by parallel plates is:
[tex]E=\frac{V}{d}[/tex]

The work-energy theorem states that W=K.
For electric potential, W=qV.
[tex]K=\frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the Velocity of the Electron as it enters the gap:
K=W
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=qV_1[/tex]
where V_1 is the potential through which the electron is accelerated.
Isolate v to get
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2qV_1}{m}}[/tex]

Onward:
We want a situation of equilibrium where [tex]F_B=F_E[/tex].
So [tex]qv\times B=qE[/tex]
the q's cancel, and the cross product is maximum, so
[tex]vB=E[/tex]
plug in the velocity which we found above and the electric field of parallel plates to get
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2qV_1}{m}}B=\frac{V_2}{d}[/tex]
where V_2 is the potential between the two plates.
Isolate B to get
[tex]B = \frac{V_2}{d}\sqrt{\frac{m}{2qV_1}}[/tex]

Now plug in my numbers
[tex]B = \frac{130}{20\times10^{-3}}\sqrt{\frac{9.109\times10^{-31}}{(2)(1.602\times10^{-19})(2000)}}=2.45\times10^{-4}T[/tex]
Wrong:frown:

Doubly odd because when I used the values:
particle=electron
V_1=1.0kV
d=20.0mm
V_2=100V

I got the correct answer of 2.67e-4 T.
Weird...

Attachments

• hrw7_28-33.gif
    hrw7_28-33.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find your mistake, if there even is one.

Thanks, nice to know it's not another one of my "redface" errors.
I guess I'll take it up with my professor, ask him to check that WebAssign is expecting a reasonable answer.

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that arises due to the interaction between moving charged particles. It is responsible for magnetic fields and plays a crucial role in the behavior of electrically charged particles.

2. How does magnetic force balance out electric force?

Magnetic force can balance out electric force when the two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This can occur when a charged particle is moving at a specific velocity in a magnetic field, resulting in a constant circular motion. The centripetal force, provided by the magnetic force, balances out the centrifugal force caused by the electric force.

3. Can magnetic force and electric force cancel each other out completely?

No, magnetic force and electric force cannot cancel each other out completely. They are two distinct forces that act on charged particles and cannot be completely eliminated. However, they can balance each other out in certain scenarios, resulting in a net force of zero on the charged particle.

4. What is the relationship between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force and electric force are both components of the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. They are related through the Lorentz force law, which describes the combined effect of electric and magnetic forces on a moving charged particle.

5. How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in MRI machines, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in various electronic devices, such as speakers, headphones, and computer hard drives. Additionally, magnetic force is crucial in generating and maintaining Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.