Proofs on Limit and Derivatives

In summary, the proof that f is differentiable at 0 includes proving that there is a limit as x goes to a, and that this limit is positive.
kingwinner
1) Prove that f defined by
f(x)= e^(-1/|x|), x=/=0,
f(x)= 0, x=0
is differentiable at 0.

[I used the definition of derivative
f'(0)=lim [f(0+h)-f(0)] / h = lim [e^(-1/|h|) / h]
h->0 h->0
and I am stuck here and unable to proceed...]

2) Suppose lim (x->a) f(x) = L exists and f(x)>0 for all x not =a. Use the definition of limit to prove that L>0.

[when I draw a picture, I can see that this is definitely true, but how can I go about proving it?]

Thanks for your help!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the second one, start with the definition of limit. Suppose L is less than zero, and show there must be some f(x) for x near a such that f(x) is quite close to L, and hence negative (in more formal terms of course)

kingwinner said:
1) Prove that f defined by
f(x)= e^(-1/|x|), x=/=0,
f(x)= 0, x=0
is differentiable at 0.

[I used the definition of derivative
f'(0)=lim [f(0+h)-f(0)] / h = lim [e^(-1/|h|) / h]
h->0 h->0
and I am stuck here and unable to proceed...]
Let k= 1/h so that you have
[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty} ke^-k[/itex]
and use L'Hopital's rule.

2) Suppose lim (x-a) f(x) = L exists and f(x)>0 for all x not =a. Use the definition of limit to prove that L>0.
You mean "limit as x goes to a of f(x)", not " limit of (x-a)f(x)" surely, since in the second case this is not true. Use 'indirect proof'. Suppose L< 0 and take [itex]\epsilon[/itex]= L/2 in the definiton of limit.

HallsofIvy said:
Let k= 1/h so that you have
[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty} ke^-k[/itex]
and use L'Hopital's rule.

You mean "limit as x goes to a of f(x)", not " limit of (x-a)f(x)" surely, since in the second case this is not true. Use 'indirect proof'. Suppose L< 0 and take [itex]\epsilon[/itex]= L/2 in the definiton of limit.

1) But there is an absolute value |h|, letting k=1/h won't get rid of the absolute value, right?

2) Sorry, that's a typo...I have corrected it...
How do you know how epsilon you are going to pick? I am personally having terrible trouble knowing what epsilon to pick to do this kind of proofs...

Can someone please help me? I will be writing my finals tomorrow...

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input value approaches a certain value. It is typically denoted by the notation "lim x → a f(x)", which reads as "the limit of f(x) as x approaches a".

2. How do you prove the existence of a limit?

To prove the existence of a limit, you must show that as the input value gets closer and closer to the specified value, the output values of the function get closer and closer to a specific value. This can be done through various methods, such as using the definition of a limit, epsilon-delta proofs, or graphical representations.

3. What is the relationship between continuity and limits?

Continuity is a property of a function where there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. Limits are used to determine if a function is continuous at a certain point. A function is continuous at a point if the limit at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. How are derivatives related to limits?

Derivatives are closely related to limits, as they are defined as the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be thought of as the limit of the average rate of change as the change in input value approaches 0. In other words, the derivative is the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the line get closer and closer together.

5. What are some common techniques for proving derivatives?

Some common techniques for proving derivatives include using the definition of a derivative, the power rule, the product rule, the quotient rule, and the chain rule. Other techniques may include using logarithmic or exponential properties, trigonometric identities, and implicit differentiation.