Circular motion and (maybe) pendulum

In summary, the object experiences a maximum tension of 1000N and has a maximum angular velocity of 360 degrees per second.
hastings

Homework Statement

an object with mass m=2kg is placed on a horizontal smooth surface. it's tied to a rigid and unextensible rope long L=1m. this object moves around in a circular motion without lifting from the surfuce. the maximum tension of the rope is T=1000N. find the angular velocity [tex] \omega_{max}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \omega= \frac{d \theta}{dt}[/tex] or [tex]a_{centre}=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]\vec N=mg[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start from
There's no friction so the forces on the object are N, the normal force going up along the positive axis y, the T force (though I don't know the angle between the surface and the L). Well ... that's all that comes to my mind right now. Anything right in my blabbing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tension in the rope is the clue. The force experienced during circular motion can have a maximum value of what? It should be easy to determine the maximum angular velocity from there.

Kurdt said:
The tension in the rope is the clue. The force experienced during circular motion can have a maximum value of what? It should be easy to determine the maximum angular velocity from there.

sorry can't follow you. What is the force during circular motion equal to?
Anything to do with sin & cos ?

how do I calculate the force which pushes the object in a circular motion?
[tex]\sum F= \vec T+ \vec N + \vec P [/tex] ?

or is it something like this

[tex]\theta=\theta_0 + \omega (...t)[/tex]

(I'm not sure of this last formula, I remember something like that)

Last edited:
You're not really close at all. In circular motion the object is subject to an acceleration (centripetal acceleration) toward the centre of the circular motion. Thus there is also a force proportional to that acceleration toward the centre of the circular motion. Think of Newton's second law.

F=m*a (N.'s 2nd law);
T is a form of force so maybe T=m*a;
centrip. acc is [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]

where R is the radius of the circle drawn by the object in motion and "v" is the velocity.
I know from theory that

[tex]\vec v= \omega R[/tex]

if I substitute in the previous formula

[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{R}= \frac{\omega^2 R^2}{R}=\frac{\omega^2}{R} [/tex]

ok, now where to fit L? in place of R? why?

Yes the length of the rope will be the radius of the circular motion. if you drw a diagram it will be easy to convince yourself why the rope length is the radius of the circular motion. Essentially the rope will be at full extension whil the mass is travelleing at its maximum angular velocity.

EDIT: Just noticed you made a slight mistake in your derivation so [tex]a=\omega^2R[/tex]

ok, thanks a lot!

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object travels the same distance from a fixed point in the same amount of time.

2. What are the factors that affect circular motion?

The factors that affect circular motion include the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. These factors can impact the centripetal force and the velocity of the object.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object, and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path.

4. How does a pendulum demonstrate circular motion?

A pendulum is a weight hanging from a fixed point, free to swing back and forth. As it swings, the pendulum follows a circular path, with the fixed point as the center of the circle. The pendulum's motion is an example of circular motion.

5. How can we calculate the period and frequency of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes to complete one full swing, while the frequency is the number of swings per unit of time. The period and frequency of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.