Solve 0.5 x Sqrt(61) Without a Calculator

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
In summary: Try googling 'linearization approximation for square roots' and you should be able to find more information on the topic.
thomas49th
Hi, I was wondering what is the best method (without using a calculator) to workout somthing like 0.5 x [tex]\sqrt{61}[/tex]
Is there some logical steps/order you can take

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
As I've mentioned in another thread. On non-calculator papers, its always best to use fractions, so the first step will to turn the 0.5 into a fraction which is easy enough.

With surds one must remember the following.

[tex] \sqrt{a} \times \sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab} [/tex]

So what you would do is take the number under the square root and try and split it into two different numbers, one of which will be a square number. For example:

[tex] \sqrt{60} = \sqrt{4\times 15} = 2\sqrt{15} [/tex]

In the example you gave there is not much you could do with the 61.

If the question is asking you to estimate an answer as GCSE questions often do then use the square root of 60 as in my example along with the half as a fraction.

What exactly is the question you're working on?

I just came out with an answer [tex]\frac{\sqrt{61}}{2}[/tex] for a question and I was wondering wether I could simplify it and/or pick up any new techniques. Thanks for the reply
:smile:

Well there's not much you can do with a root 61 but if you can simplify then do so.

u can use linearization to estimate square root of 61 but at some place u will need square root of 3 which we don't actually know without using a calculator

Well to find the square root of 3 i would iterate Newtons method, or just happen to know roughly as it as i do: 1.73205

ok then if u can do it without a calculator use linearization and state the function as sqrt(64-3)

u can use linearization to estimate square root of 61 but at some place u will need square root of 3 which we don't actually know without using a calculator

Why? -- the whole point of linearization is to approximate with a linear function.

For example, expand about a = 64

[tex]f(x) = f(a) +f'(a) \cdot (x-a) + \dots [/tex]

and

[tex]f(a) = a^{1/2} = 8 [/tex]

[tex]f'(a) = (1/2) a^{-1/2} = 1/2 \cdot 1/8[/tex]

Then
[tex]f(61) \approx 8 + \frac{1}{16} \cdot (61-64) = 8 - 3/16 =7.8125[/tex]

and that's within about .03% relative error.

Last edited:
Just to calm the OP poster a bit, linerization isn't part of the GCSE syllabus. I believe the last exam for GCSE maths was today though.

What is the formula for solving 0.5 x Sqrt(61) without a calculator?

The formula for solving 0.5 x Sqrt(61) without a calculator is to first find the square root of 61, which is approximately 7.81. Then, multiply 0.5 by 7.81, resulting in an answer of approximately 3.905.

Why is it important to solve equations without a calculator?

It is important to solve equations without a calculator because it helps improve mental math skills and problem-solving abilities. It also allows for a better understanding of mathematical concepts and can be useful in situations where a calculator is not readily available.

Can this equation be solved using a different method?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving 0.5 x Sqrt(61) without a calculator. One alternative method is to use the power and root laws to simplify the equation and then solve it using basic arithmetic operations.

Is there a way to check the accuracy of the solution?

Yes, there are several ways to check the accuracy of the solution. One way is to use a calculator to verify the answer. Another way is to use estimation techniques, such as rounding, to see if the solution is within a reasonable range. Additionally, the solution can be plugged back into the original equation to see if it results in a true statement.

Can this equation be solved using mental math techniques?

Yes, 0.5 x Sqrt(61) can be solved using mental math techniques such as estimation, simplification, and breaking down the problem into simpler parts. With practice and familiarity with mathematical concepts, it is possible to solve this equation mentally without the use of a calculator.