How Planes & Paper Airplanes Fly: An Explanation

• Thread starter The_Thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, an airplane wing works due to the difference in pressure between the upper and under surphase of the wing. This pressure difference is set up by increasing the speed of the air passing over the upper wing suphase.
The_Thinker
My question is very basic and fundamental... How do planes fly? I have read that the equal transit time explanation is not true... And I have read the NASA explanation, that's supposed to be true... But I really don't understand how it works even after reading... Anyone willing to help me out?

You can check out the NASA article here:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/lifteq.html" [Broken]

Okay... another thing... How do paper airplanes fly? or glide? I've scoured the net but have remained unsuccesfull in finding out how they work...

Would be very greatfull if someone helped me out... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
All airplanes including those made of paper makes their flight due to the difference in pressure between the upper and under surphase of the wing.

How this differencial pressure is set up can be a bit different.

On an ordinary aircraft wing (like that explained on the NASA page) the basic principle making this pressure difference is to increase the speed of the air passing over the upper wing suphase. When speed goes up, the static pressure goes down, and the lift is produced due to the differential pressure.

hey... thanks for the links and replies... but as shown in the explanation, the wing must be tilted upward, must it not? but most paper airplane's wings are tilted downwards right?

Check the two attached pictures...

Attachments

• airplane-pressure.gif
    airplane-pressure.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 524
  • paper airplane.JPG
    paper airplane.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 477
When it comes to airplane wings it is generally a question of relative wind. Relative wind can be described as the wind direction that you would see if you were sitting at the tip of the wing. (It will come with some angle from underneath.)

The principe of "relative wind" is valid for aircraft wings, helicopeter rotors, aircraft propellers and also the first stage fan blades in big jet engines.

From paper planes and up to the biggest jet engines it work basically the same way.

There is one limit, when the speed of sound is reached for an airfoil, things are starting to work different.

For the paper plane wing on your drawing, the direction of the plane has to be even more step to the ground so that "angle of attack" measured against relative wind is still positive.

hey... thanks for replying, I've sort of got it now... :rolleyes:

1. How do planes and paper airplanes stay in the air?

Planes and paper airplanes stay in the air due to the principles of aerodynamics. The shape of their wings creates lift, which is a force that opposes gravity and keeps the aircraft in the air. Additionally, the forward motion of the plane creates thrust, which helps to overcome the drag force that acts in the opposite direction.

2. Why do planes and paper airplanes have different wing shapes?

The wing shape of an airplane is designed based on its intended use and the speed at which it will fly. Commercial airplanes have long, narrow wings to increase lift and reduce drag, while fighter jets have shorter, swept-back wings for increased maneuverability at high speeds. Paper airplanes often have a delta wing shape, which helps them to fly farther and more stably in a straight line.

3. How do planes and paper airplanes control their direction?

Planes and paper airplanes control their direction through the use of control surfaces on their wings and tail. These surfaces can be moved to change the direction of the air flow, which in turn changes the direction of the aircraft. For example, moving the ailerons on the wings can cause the plane to roll left or right, while moving the rudder on the tail can cause the plane to yaw left or right.

4. What is the role of air pressure in flight?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in flight. As an airplane moves through the air, the shape of its wings creates areas of high and low pressure. The difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the wing creates lift, allowing the plane to stay in the air. Paper airplanes also rely on air pressure to stay aloft, as the shape of their wings creates a similar pressure difference.

5. Why do planes and paper airplanes sometimes stall?

Planes and paper airplanes can stall when the angle of attack (the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming air) is too high. This disrupts the flow of air over the wings and reduces lift, causing the aircraft to lose altitude or even fall to the ground. To prevent stalling, pilots must carefully control the angle of attack, and paper airplane designers must consider this factor when creating their designs.