Can I Use WIFI with a 56K Modem and Wireless Router?

• Thread starter oldtobor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wifi
In summary: If you get a wireless adapter for your laptop, you are in essence making it possible for your laptop to network in wireless hot-spots that allow public access. You can attach a wireless router to an existing cable or DSL in your home and create a fixed mini "wifi" hot spot. You can also buy a wireless router that takes a wireless highspeed broadband card and set up a completely portable wireless "wifi" spot wherever you go.
oldtobor
I only have a 56 K modem attached to my computer. I have another laptop (or notebook PC) that has a WIFI connection. Is it possible or are there some kinds of routers that allow me to attach the WIFI router - device on the telephone line that communicates at 56 K modem mode and be able to capture the wireless signal on the laptop ? Is WIFI compatible with 56 K modem ?

Thanks for any help, can't seem to find this issue on google...

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can buy a wifi card for the laptop. There is no intermediate device you can connect the modem to on one side and the router to on the other.

So WIFI is either high speed ADSL or LAN or anything above 1 MB/sec or nothing at all ? So there is no way to navigate the internet from a laptap with WIFI but wirelessly connected through some deivce attached to a phone line and modem working in analog mode at only 56 K ?

Thanks for any answers, it is a bit confusing ...

oldtobor said:
So WIFI is either high speed ADSL or LAN or anything above 1 MB/sec or nothing at all ?
No.

You can attach a wireless router to an existing cable or DSL in your home and create a fixed mini "wifi" hot spot.

You can also buy a wireless router that takes a wireless highspeed broadband card and set up a completely portable wireless "wifi" spot wherever you go.

So there is no way to navigate the internet from a laptap with WIFI but wirelessly connected through some deivce attached to a phone line and modem working in analog mode at only 56 K ?
Yes, there are 56k wireless modems that you can connect to an analog phone line. You need bluetooth on your computer. Here is one type.

http://www.socketstore.com/product.asp?sku=2474809

Last edited by a moderator:
oldtobor said:
So WIFI is either high speed ADSL or LAN or anything above 1 MB/sec or nothing at all ? So there is no way to navigate the internet from a laptap with WIFI but wirelessly connected through some deivce attached to a phone line and modem working in analog mode at only 56 K ?

Thanks for any answers, it is a bit confusing ...
Maybe this will help:

Don't think of a wireless adapter for your laptop as a modem. Think of it as a device that allows you to connect to a network without using cables. These networks are generally set up to allow internet access via fast DSL or cable connections. I have a DSL router sitting on top of my PC. It has a phone line plugged into it and acts like a modem in that regard. It also has ethernet jacks on the back of it, and my PC's ethernet card is connected to one of those with a cable, so those two components form a simple network. The router also has wireless capabilities, and my wife's computer networks that way. Her PC is in another room and we don't have to run any wires. In fact, if somebody showed up with a wireless-capable laptop, they could also join this network (if I disabled my router's security settings or shared my security key with the owner of the laptop). If you get a wireless adapter for your laptop, you are in essence making it possible for your laptop to network in wireless hot-spots that allow public access. In fact, if I hadn't enabled security features in my router, you could park a little way from my house, hop onto my wireless network with your laptop and steal some of my bandwidth.

Wireless routers generally just have ethernet ports on their for their outbound connections. Thus, you can connect them to any ethernet network. Most people connect them to DSL or cable modems which provide ethernet ports.

If 56k modems provided ethernet ports, you could do the same thing with them. Unfortunately, 56k modems generally do not, because they're so slow that ethernet would be overkill. So, you'll need some way to connect a 56k modem to an ethernet network. An old PC can be used for this purpose.

You could connect a wireless router to a PC's ethernet port, and configure the PC as a bridge between the ethernet and the 56k modem. The flow of outbound data would look like this:

laptop computer -> wireless adapter -> wireless router -> ethernet cable -> PC ethernet card -> PC bridging software -> PC 56k modem -> internet

- Warren

chroot said:
Wireless routers generally just have ethernet ports on their for their outbound connections. Thus, you can connect them to any ethernet network. Most people connect them to DSL or cable modems which provide ethernet ports.
To avoid further confusing the OP I should have specified that my network interface is all-in-one. It houses the DSL modem, and a combination ethernet cable router with wireless capabilities. Here it is:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/broadband/54mbps_wireless_gateway_4p/index.php

It came bundled with my 1/yr DSL service.

1. Is it possible to convert a 56K modem to WIFI?

Yes, it is possible to convert a 56K modem to WIFI. However, it may require additional hardware and software upgrades.

2. What are the advantages of converting to WIFI from a 56K modem?

The main advantage of converting to WIFI from a 56K modem is the increase in internet speed. WIFI is also more convenient as it allows for wireless connectivity to multiple devices.

3. What are the limitations of using a 56K modem for WIFI?

The main limitation is the maximum speed that can be achieved with a 56K modem. It may also have a limited range and may not be compatible with newer devices.

4. Can a 56K modem be used to set up a WIFI network?

Yes, a 56K modem can be used to set up a WIFI network, but it may not provide the same level of performance as a dedicated WIFI router.

5. How can I convert my 56K modem to WIFI?

The process of converting a 56K modem to WIFI may vary depending on the specific modem and available hardware. It is recommended to consult with a professional or do thorough research before attempting to convert a 56K modem to WIFI.