Mysterious Molecule Immortalized in Halifax Boardwalk Sculpture

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, an explosion in Halifax in 1917 prompted the creation of a statue on the boardwalk commemorating the event. The statue is made of a molecule that is possibly significant to Haligonians, but without knowing which of the 'balls' are carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, sulfur, oxygen... it is not possible to know.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This molecule has been immortalized in a sculpture on the boardwalk of the city of Halifax, NS.

Wondering if anyone recognizes it.

I see it has a carbon backbone and a benzene ring, but I don't know much else. I'm afraid that, other than the arrangements and bonds, there's no indication do what the various individual atoms are. And it has no name, so no help there.

I tried to guess what molecule might be significant to Haligonians, but it is clearlry not a molecule of TNT or nitroglycerin!

Ideas?

Attachments

• molecule.gif
    molecule.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 533
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The city of Halifax had an explosion in 1917, a very large explosion. That maybe has some signifigance with the statue,other than that i think it could be a plastic or an organic ester of some sort.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

It is nearly Nitrocellulose (gun cotton) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose
Could be a bit of artistic licence, or the sculptor wasn't up on his chemistry?

Without knowing which of the 'balls' are carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, sulfur, oxygen... it is not possible to know. For example, the 'benzene' ring has substitution at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position that could be protons. There is no substitution at the 10 o'clock position which indicates that the 10 o'clock position is occupied by something other than carbon (perhaps nitrogen). The branched chain on the left shows protons on the methyl groups (I think) so it appears that the sculptor intends to show protons if they are present. The benzo-fused 5-member ring on the right side of the benzene (?) ring shows at least two positions (exo to the 6-member ring) that contain a hetero atom (N, S, O) but without knowledge of the electronic nature of the bonds in that ring (single, double, aromatic) it is impossible to tell.

Perhaps it is just art intended to reflect the city's association with Science and Technology (Dalhousie University?).

JGM_14 said:
The city of Halifax had an explosion in 1917, a very large explosion
Indeed.

It knocked objects off shelves in Truro, 100km away and was heard 360km away in Cape Breton.

It is heralded as the largest manmade explosion in history, up until the bomb at Hiroshima. And at 3 kilotons, it rivals even that, which was a mere 13kT.

Last edited:

What is the mysterious molecule immortalized in the Halifax Boardwalk Sculpture?

The mysterious molecule is a representation of a chemical compound called Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which is found in tanning products and is responsible for the bronze color of a tan.

Why was this molecule chosen to be immortalized in a sculpture?

The molecule was chosen to be immortalized in a sculpture because it has a strong connection to the history and culture of Halifax, as it was discovered and first synthesized by chemist Johann Friedrich Wilhelm Adolf von Baeyer in Halifax in 1868.

What makes this molecule mysterious?

This molecule is considered mysterious because its exact structure was unknown for many years after its discovery due to its complex nature and difficulty in synthesizing it. Its structure was finally confirmed in the 1950s.

What is the significance of this sculpture for the scientific community?

This sculpture serves as a reminder of the important discoveries and contributions made by scientists in Halifax, and the impact of their work on the field of chemistry. It also highlights the beauty and complexity of chemical compounds.

Are there any other molecules that have been immortalized in sculptures?

Yes, there are several other molecules that have been immortalized in sculptures, such as DNA, caffeine, and carbon dioxide. These sculptures serve as educational tools and artistic representations of the molecules and their significance in our lives.