Exploring Laser Options for Low Cost 3D Printing with RPT Technology

• Thread starter makethings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary: A typical home laser printer is in the range of 5-10 Watts, so a lower power laser could be used. In terms of cost, I'm not sure how much it would cost to build a low-cost 3D printer, but I imagine it would be cheaper than purchasing a commercial machine.
makethings
Hi. I've been looking at RPT projects like reprap and fab@home whose aim is to provide a low cost solution to rapid prototyping. I was wondering if anyone with RPT experience could tell me if those machines could be outfitted with a laser (like what you might find in your typical home/office laser printer) and use a stereolithography to perform the printing.

I guess some things I want to find out are, like what wattage laser is needed to cure a vat of photopolymer to form a solid object. And is the cost reasonable to make a low cost 3d printer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem with a laser is that it goes in a straight line through the material and so would cure the full depth. You could imagine having a number of laser were the power for each was low so as to only trigger the cure where several beams intersected but the chemistry might be tricky.
I think most system rely on the cure only working with a comination of light (UV?) and air, so that the printer draws on the flat surface making an outline of that contour level which cures and then the model sinks slightly to give a new fresh surface.

I would have to do some background research on the "home versions." The SLA machines I am familiar with are nowhere near a home DIY set up. Don't they use some kind of powder with a binder, or am I dating myself with that?

Do you know off the top of your head what the media is that the home machines use? Is it even curable with a laser?

These personal fabber machines use fused deposition modelling as the technique. They use a polymorph stubstance as the material.

For curable laser technology, it would have to be some kind of UV activated liquid photopolymer, however, what kind of laser with the most minimal power (cheap cost) could do the job?

What is a 3D printer?

A 3D printer is a type of printer that creates physical objects by building them layer by layer from a digital file. It uses a process called additive manufacturing, where materials are added layer by layer until the desired object is created.

What are the different types of 3D printers?

There are several types of 3D printers, including fused deposition modeling (FDM), stereolithography (SLA), selective laser sintering (SLS), and digital light processing (DLP). Each type uses a different method to create objects, and the choice of printer depends on the materials and level of detail required for a specific project.

What materials can be used in a 3D printer?

3D printers can use a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, wood, and even food. The type of material used depends on the type of printer and the desired end product. For example, some printers are designed specifically for printing with metal, while others are better suited for creating plastic objects.

What are the advantages of using a 3D printer?

There are many advantages to using a 3D printer, including the ability to create custom objects that are not available in stores, cost savings for small-scale production, and the ability to quickly prototype and test designs. 3D printing also allows for more intricate and complex designs to be created, which may not be possible with traditional manufacturing methods.

What are some common applications of 3D printing?

3D printing has a wide range of applications, including prototyping and product development, architecture and construction, healthcare and medicine, and even in the creation of art and jewelry. It is also commonly used in the manufacturing industry for small-scale production and customization of products.