Basic Statics Mechanics - moments

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force F and angle theta based on given moments exerted at point A and B. After some algebraic manipulation, it is determined that theta is equal to 47.5 degrees and F is equal to 25 pounds. There is a minor typo in the figure given for joint A.
FrogPad
I think I am getting the wrong answer here, but I don't know why. Would someone please be so kind to go through this basic stuff.

Question: The force F exerts a 200 ft-lb counterclockwise moment about A and a 100 ft-lb clockwise moment about B. What are F and theta?Attempt:
[tex] M_A = 2 F \cos \theta + 9 F \sin \theta = 200 [/tex]
[tex] M_B = -7 F \cos \theta + F \sin \theta = -100 [/tex]

A little bit of algebra yields:
[tex] \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} = \frac{12}{-11} [/tex]

[tex] \tan \theta = \frac{12}{-11} = -47.49 (deg) [/tex]

Would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

1347119487_f71c77e2e4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You missed a minus sign somewhere, tan theta = +12/11; otherwise, your work looks good to me, theta = +47.5 degrees, (and F = 25 pounds).
(there is a typo in the figure at joint A, I think: should read (-5,5))

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for clarification on this topic. It seems like you have correctly set up the equations for moments at points A and B. However, in order to solve for F and theta, you will need one more equation or piece of information. This is because you have two unknowns (F and theta) but only two equations.

One way to approach this problem is to use the concept of equilibrium, where the sum of all forces and moments acting on a body must equal zero. In this case, we can set up the following equations:

ΣF = 0
ΣM_A = 0
ΣM_B = 0

From the first equation, we know that the sum of all forces must equal zero. This means that F must cancel out. From the second and third equations, we can substitute in the moments calculated at points A and B, and solve for F.

M_A = 2Fcosθ + 9Fsinθ = 200
M_B = -7Fcosθ + Fsinθ = -100

Subtracting the equations from each other, we get:

9Fsinθ + 8Fcosθ = 300

Using the Pythagorean identity sin²θ + cos²θ = 1, we can rewrite this equation as:

F(9sinθ + 8cosθ) = 300

Now, we can divide both sides by (9sinθ + 8cosθ) to solve for F:

F = 300/(9sinθ + 8cosθ)

To solve for theta, we can substitute this value of F into one of the original equations (either M_A or M_B) and solve for theta. For example, using M_A:

200 = 2(300/(9sinθ + 8cosθ))cosθ + 9(300/(9sinθ + 8cosθ))sinθ

Simplifying and solving for θ, we get θ = 51.34°.

Therefore, the force F is approximately 33.33 ft-lb and the angle θ is approximately 51.34°.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and guide you to the correct solution. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies of statics mechanics!

What is a moment in statics mechanics?

A moment in statics mechanics is a measurement of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the point/axis to the line of action of the force.

How is moment different from force?

A force is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull on an object, while a moment is a scalar quantity that describes the rotational effect of a force. In other words, a force can cause linear motion, while a moment can cause angular motion.

What are the units of moment?

The SI unit for moment is newton-meter (N·m) in the metric system, while the imperial unit is foot-pound (ft·lb) in the US Customary system. The unit can also be represented as pound-foot (lb·ft) or pound-inch (lb·in).

How is moment calculated?

To calculate moment, you need to multiply the force by the distance from the point/axis to the line of action of the force. The formula for moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

Why are moments important in statics mechanics?

Moments are important in statics mechanics because they help us understand and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of forces. They also allow us to determine the stability and equilibrium of structures, which is essential for designing and analyzing structures in engineering and construction.