Understanding Quasi Fermi Levels & Calculating QFL Equation

In summary: OK, no problem. So the normal Fermi Levels used only apply when there are no excess carriers. Have you studied PN junction theory? If you have I can give you examples of Quasi-Fermi Levels from that, but if not it would probably only confuse you at this stage. In summary, the quasi-Fermi levels describe the difference in electron and hole concentrations from their equilibrium values.
loneRanger86
Hello all!

My professor talked about the quasi fermi levels in my Photonics class. While he did make a good effort, I still am not able to understand the concept. I do plan on going to him on Tuesday to get a clearer idea.

But I was wondering if any of you folks could give a general definition of what quasi fermi level is. He worked out a problem on calculating the quasi fermi levels, but I didnt quite get it.

Could you let me know what equation is typically used to calculate the quasi fermi levels?

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
OK, no problem. So the normal Fermi Levels used only apply when there are no excess carriers. Have you studied PN junction theory? If you have I can give you examples of Quasi-Fermi Levels from that, but if not it would probably only confuse you at this stage.

As you probably know, you can use your knowledge of the location of the Fermi Level to find out the concentration of carriers:

[tex]
\begin{gather}
n_{0}=n_{i}e^{\frac{E_{F}-E_{i}}{kT}}\\
p_{0}=n_{i}e^{\frac{E_{i}-E_{F}}{kT}}
\end{gather}
[/tex].

Where (1) gives you the equilibrium electron concentration and (2) gives you the equilibrium hole concentration. So if you know the Fermi Level you can work out both concentrations. However this is not the case when there are excess carriers, in that case these formulae will not give you the correct concentration. But engineers like working with Fermi Levels, so, the concept of Quasi-Fermi Levels was introduced. However instead of one Fermi Level, you now need two, usually called:

[tex]
F_n
[/tex]
&
[tex]
F_p
[/tex].

The electron & hole quasi Fermi-Level respectively. So, now using these we can find out the concentrations by the following equations (note how similar they are to the previous equations above):

[tex]
\begin{gather*}
n=n_{i}e^{\frac{F_{n}-E_{i}}{kT}}\\
p=n_{i}e^{\frac{E_{i}-F_{p}}{kT}}
\end{gather}
[/tex].

So, what does Fp & Fn mean qualitatively? Well the difference between Fn & Ef and between Fp and Ef describe how much the electron & hole concentrations differ from their equilibrium values n0 & p0.

Hope this helps a bit & I haven't confused you more. Let me know if anything isn't clear.

Last edited:
BackEMF said:
OK, no problem. So the normal Fermi Levels used only apply when there are no excess carriers. Have you studied PN junction theory? If you have I can give you examples of Quasi-Fermi Levels from that, but if not it would probably only confuse you at this stage.

Hope this helps a bit & I haven't confused you more. Let me know if anything isn't clear.

BackEMF: thanks a lot for the great explanation. I did get a good understanding of the concept- now I am going to put it to use in my homework... hopefully it works out and I won't have to bug you all more.

Thanks again.

Hello, can you please tell me how to calculate electron & hole quasi Fermi-Levels (say in n-type semiconductor)? I mean, how to determine Fp and Fn that you mentioned.

Thanks!

1. What are quasi Fermi levels?

Quasi Fermi levels refer to a concept in semiconductor physics that describes the energy levels of charge carriers (electrons and holes) in a material. They are used to explain the distribution of charge carriers at thermal equilibrium, and they play a critical role in determining the behavior and performance of semiconductor devices.

2. How are quasi Fermi levels calculated?

The calculation of quasi Fermi levels involves solving the Boltzmann transport equation, which takes into account factors such as temperature, doping concentration, and material properties. The result is a set of energy levels for electrons and holes, known as the quasi Fermi levels, which represent their distribution throughout the material.

3. What is the QFL equation?

The QFL equation, or quasi Fermi level equation, is a mathematical expression that relates the quasi Fermi levels to the carrier concentration in a material. It is a fundamental equation in semiconductor physics and is used to analyze and design devices such as solar cells and transistors.

4. Why is understanding quasi Fermi levels important?

Understanding quasi Fermi levels is crucial in the development and design of semiconductor devices. They provide insight into the behavior of charge carriers in a material and can help predict the performance of devices under different conditions. Quasi Fermi levels also play a role in the optimization of devices for maximum efficiency and functionality.

5. How do quasi Fermi levels affect device performance?

The position of the quasi Fermi levels in a material can greatly impact the performance of a semiconductor device. For example, in a solar cell, the difference in quasi Fermi levels between the p-type and n-type layers is what creates the electric field necessary for converting sunlight into electricity. In a transistor, the change in quasi Fermi levels controls the flow of current between the source and drain terminals.