Showing two families of curves are orthogonal.

In summary, the given function f(z) is analytic in a region D and has families of level curves u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2. It is required to prove that these two families are orthogonal, meaning that at any point in D where they intersect, the tangent lines to those curves are perpendicular. This can be shown by using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the total derivatives of u and v with respect to x. The gradients of u and v are normal to the slope of the level curve, and the dot product of these gradients can be used to show that the slopes are inverse and opposite. This, combined with the Cauchy-Riemann equations, proves that the tangent lines are perpendicular
EricVT
Let the function f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) be analytic in D, and consider the families of level curves u(x.y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2 where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants. Prove that these families are orthogonal. More precisely, show that if zo=(xo,yo) (o is a subscript) is a point in D which is common to two particular curves u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2 and if f '(zo) is not equal to zero, then the lines tangent to those curves at (xo,yo) are perpendicular.

I really have absolutely no idea how to show this. It gives the suggestion that

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

So the total derivatives with respect to x of u and v are both zero. Should I equate these and look for some relationship between the partials? Since the function is analytic we know

[tex] u_x = v_y [/tex]

[tex] u_y = -v_x [/tex]

So this can be rewritten in several different ways, but I really just don't know what I am looking for.

Can anyone please offer some advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it this way. At a given point (x,y) look at the gradient vectors of u and v. grad(u)=(u_x,u_y), grad(v)=(v_x,v_y). The gradient is normal to the slope of the level curve. Compute the dot product of the gradients. What does the tell you about the slopes of the level curves?

So, the slopes should be inverse and opposite?

I think I see how to write this now. I can use the total derivative of u with respect to x and solve for dy/dx and then set the inverse of that to dy/dx for the orthogonal family. Finally, it should work back to the total derivative of v with respect to x using the Cauchy-Riemann equations (since it is analytic).

Thanks for that first step, hopefully the rest of my reasoning is right.

Sounds right. Arguing from gradients seems easier, but it does look like they want you to go that way.

1. What does it mean for two families of curves to be orthogonal?

When two families of curves are orthogonal, it means that they intersect at right angles. This can also be described as being perpendicular or having a 90 degree angle between them.

2. How can I show that two families of curves are orthogonal?

To show that two families of curves are orthogonal, you can use the dot product of their respective gradient vectors. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the two families of curves are orthogonal.

3. Can two families of curves be orthogonal at all points?

It is possible for two families of curves to be orthogonal at all points, but it is not always the case. For example, if one family of curves is a set of concentric circles and the other is a set of radial lines, they will only be orthogonal at the points where the lines intersect the circles.

4. Are there any real-life examples of orthogonal families of curves?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of orthogonal families of curves. One common example is the set of level curves on a topographic map, which represent lines of equal elevation and intersect at right angles. Another example is the lines of longitude and latitude on a globe, which are orthogonal at the poles.

5. Are orthogonal families of curves important in any specific field of study?

Yes, orthogonal families of curves are important in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to analyze and model complex systems, such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and trajectories of objects. They also have practical applications in computer graphics and animation, where they are used to create 3D models and animations.