Career Options for 3rd Year Mech Engg Student

In summary, the conversation is about the person's career options and their desire to pursue a MS in aerospace engineering after graduation. They are unsure about what else they need to do besides clearing the GRE test and are considering writing a technical paper, but are scared of it. They have good practical experience in robotics and a failed attempt at a major SAE project. They are confused about whether to take a job, study for management (MBA), or continue with further studies. The suggestion is made to look for a job with tuition reimbursement for MS classes, but the person mentions that this may be difficult as they are located far from the US.
ank_gl
career option?

i don't know how many times this has been asked(probably 347374 times, coz that's what this Academic & Career Guidance forum does:biggrin:), but being a stupid, i ll ask again:tongue:
i want to do MS after my graduation. apart from clearing GRE test, what else i need to do to prepare for this. i want to do aerospace engineering. i am currently 3rd year mech engg student. i have good a base in fluid mechanics and thermal engineering. precisely, i need to know if i need to write a technical paper? i admitt, i m scared of it:grumpy:, i haven't ever done it, i am more into practical application of things, like i love to participate in local robotics events. i did had a major SAE project with me, whose theoretical part i completed fairly, but because of administrative and monetary reasons, i couldn't finish, so that adds as a failed attempt:cry:. i am really confused about how should i proceed. one more thing, i have three options- take a job, study for management(MBA) or study for further studies. IInd one is least probable, which of the other two is better?? even a strong criticism is welcome. believe me, i am having a tough time now regarding my options:redface:

one more thing, i hate this drop down smiley list, previous one(yeah, that table one) was much easier to use

Physics news on Phys.org
One combination option would be to take a job with a company that offers tuition reimbursement for your MS classes, and is understanding of the time you put in while you work mostly full time and study part-time. Many larger technology companies offer this tuition reimbursement as an employee benefit to qualified employees. Check out some of their websites, like this page at Boeing.com:

http://www.boeing.com/employment/careerGrowth/educationResources.html#learningtogether

Last edited by a moderator:
ok good advice to start with, but those type of opportunities are mostly available in US, unfortunately i am half world away from US :((

1. What career options are available for a 3rd year mechanical engineering student?

As a mechanical engineering student, some of the career options available to you are mechanical engineer, project engineer, design engineer, manufacturing engineer, and research and development engineer. You can also explore opportunities in fields such as robotics, renewable energy, automotive, aerospace, and construction.

2. Are internships important for securing a job after graduation?

Yes, internships are highly important for gaining practical experience and developing skills that can make you more competitive in the job market. They also provide you with the opportunity to network and make connections in the industry, which can lead to job opportunities after graduation.

3. What skills do employers look for in a mechanical engineering graduate?

Employers typically look for technical skills such as knowledge of CAD software, product design, and project management. Soft skills such as communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and critical thinking are also highly valued. Additionally, having experience with industry-specific tools and technologies can make you stand out to potential employers.

4. Is further education necessary for a successful career in mechanical engineering?

Further education, such as a master's or PhD, can be beneficial for career advancement in certain fields such as research and development or academia. However, it is not necessary for a successful career in mechanical engineering. Gaining practical experience through internships and on-the-job training can also lead to career growth and advancement.

5. What industries can a mechanical engineer work in?

A mechanical engineer can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, construction, energy, manufacturing, and robotics. They can also find opportunities in consulting firms, government agencies, and research institutions. Mechanical engineers are highly versatile and their skills are in demand in many different fields.