Calculate Flux: 0.00194596T*m

• Thread starter mrlucky0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the task is to find the magnetic flux through a horizontal desk surface given its dimensions and the magnitude and direction of Earth's magnetic field. The equation used is Flux = B*A*Cos(a), where B is the magnetic field, A is the area, and a is the angle between the field and the surface. The resulting flux is 0.00194596 T·(m^2), although the given value for the magnetic field strength may not be accurate.
mrlucky0

Homework Statement

A horizontal desk surface measures 4.3 m by 2.0 m. If the Earth's magnetic field has magnitude 0.32 mT and is directed 45° below the horizontal, what is the magnetic flux through the desk surface?

Homework Equations

Flux = B*A*Cos(a)

Where A is the area, B is the magnetic field,

The Attempt at a Solution

Flux = B*A*Cos(a)
= (.32E-3 T) * (4.3*2.0 m^2) * ( Cos(45) )
= 0.00194596 T*m

However, the my solution isn't correct and I'm convinced that I'm not doing anything incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrlucky0 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Flux = B*A*Cos(a)
= (.32E-3 T) * (4.3*2.0 m^2) * ( Cos(45) )
= 0.00194596 T*m

I don't see anything wrong with your calculation either (other than that the units of flux should be T·(m^2).

I am a bit troubled by the value given for the magnetic field strength. For Earth, this value should be more like 30-60 microteslas or 0.03-0.06 mT. Are you sure about the location of the decimal point in the problem?

Your solution is actually correct. The magnetic flux through the desk surface is indeed 0.00194596 T*m. It is possible that there was a mistake in the given solution or the question itself. I would recommend double checking the question and the given solution to make sure they are both correct. If you still have doubts, you can also ask your professor or a classmate for clarification.

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the amount of a physical quantity passing through a surface or area. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe the flow of energy or matter.

2. How is flux calculated?

Flux is calculated by multiplying the value of the physical quantity by the area through which it is passing. The resulting unit of flux is determined by the unit of the physical quantity multiplied by the unit of area (e.g. T*m for magnetic flux).

3. What does a flux of 0.00194596T*m mean?

A flux of 0.00194596T*m indicates that a magnetic field with a strength of 0.00194596 Tesla is passing through a surface with an area of 1 square meter. This can also be interpreted as the amount of magnetic flux passing through a unit area.

4. How is flux used in scientific research?

Flux is used in many areas of scientific research, such as in physics to describe the flow of energy in systems, in environmental science to measure the flow of nutrients in ecosystems, and in astronomy to study the movement of particles in space. It is also used in engineering to analyze and design systems that involve the transfer of energy or matter.

5. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative. In the case of magnetic flux, a negative value indicates that the magnetic field is directed in the opposite direction of the surface or area being measured. In other applications, a negative flux may represent a decrease in the flow of a physical quantity.