Energy Density of a Charged Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fraction of the total energy stored in a plastic sphere with equally distributed charge from r=0 to r=a/2. The solution involves using energy density, volume, and a ratio of energies. However, it is discovered that the electric field within the sphere is not constant and this affects the solution. The conversation ends with the mention of a helpful website.
xxacefirexx

Homework Statement

Since this was on the test, I won't be able to type out the question verbatim, but here it goes:

You have a plastic sphere with charge equally distributed through out the sphere. The radius of the sphere is a. The energy stored in the total sphere is E0 (not to be confused with electric field). Find the fraction of the total energy from r=0 to r=a/2 (half the radius).

Homework Equations

energydensity*volume = energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply put a ratio of the two energies, so E(small)/E0. Since charge is equally spread throughout the sphere, I figured that the energy densities would cancel out, leaving the volume(small)/volume(big). Dividing out gives (1/8)E0.

However, this seems unreasonably easy, and I think I'm missing something very important. Did I do it correctly, or am I forgetting something?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes it does...

so it looks like i assumed that because the charge is constant, that the electric field is constant, which is not the case.

I missed 2 big equations in that, so looks like I am not even going to get that much partial credit :frown:

at least now i can sleep knowing the answer. btw, that's an excellent site.

1. What is energy density?

Energy density refers to the amount of energy that can be stored in a given material or system. It is typically measured in joules per kilogram (J/kg) or kilowatt-hours per kilogram (kWh/kg).

2. How is energy density calculated?

Energy density is calculated by dividing the total energy stored in a material or system by its mass. This can be expressed in different units, such as J/kg or kWh/kg.

3. What is the importance of energy density?

Energy density is important because it determines how much energy can be stored in a given space or weight. This is crucial for the development and use of efficient energy storage systems, such as batteries or fuel cells.

4. How does energy density affect the performance of energy systems?

The higher the energy density of a material or system, the more energy it can store and release. This means that energy systems with higher energy density can provide more power, run for longer periods of time, and be more compact and lightweight.

5. What are some examples of high energy density materials or systems?

Some examples of high energy density materials or systems include lithium-ion batteries, hydrogen fuel cells, and nuclear reactors. These technologies have a high energy density, making them useful for various applications such as powering electronic devices, vehicles, and even entire cities.